{Chapter 15}

Moral: Love happens in the moments where it is least expected to. Don't find love. Let love find you. That's why it's called 'falling in love' because you don't force yourself to fall. You just fall.

"What the hell is all this?!" Lyric asked with wonder, entering the garden cautiously as though the ground would crack if she stepped on it. Lyric's gaze turned to the seating area that was lit by lunar powered lights and candles. She seemed unable to recover from being so stunned and when she looked near her foot, she gasped. The words 'I'm sorry' were shaped onto the ground by rose petals.

"I'm sorry," he apologized again with deep regret, "I didn't know that story meant that much to you. Can I be forgiven?" Lyric looked around then back at him and repeated this process thrice to ensure that all was real. Her features suddenly turned stone cold, "This isn't a joke Chase." She turned to leave when he pulled her arm, sending her frame crashing into his. Sparks shooting through their skin.

"This is no joke, Lyric. It's all for you," he breathed, courageously offering her his hand. "Why?" she asked blatantly. Chase was taken aback and pointed to the apology on the ground, "To make it up to you." This time, Lyric bit her lip and stared at the apology, unintentionally staying in his arms. She looked up and whispered, "Thank you."

She took his hand daintily and he guided her toward the furniture. After pulling out her chair and ensuring she was comfortable, he sat down. An awkward silence overcame the two. "I was informed of something that I didn't like," he began. Lyric rolled her eyes, "Welcome to Life."

He chuckled before regaining a serious composure, "Why aren't you eating?" Lyric's back instantly straightened as he began sharing food between her and himself. Her eyebrows furrowed and she asked, "Why's that your problem?"

"Cause we're Mates," he simply responded, taking her hands into his. Lyric pulled away with a jolt. She did feel guilty. Chase did all this and she couldn't be a normal open person with her Mate.

"I'm a Rogue! What the fuck do y'all expect?! Your Pack is too sheltered from the bloody world we live in!" Lyric fumed. She knew that she shouldn't have reacted in such a manner but she knew Chase was a great guy and he doesn't deserve to be tied down a cold-blooded killer.

"Being a Rogue ain't easy. You have to have emotional and physical strength to acquire basic essentials. Hell, I almost got my throat slit for drinking water from a stagnant pond! It's not easy. I can't break out a habit like that, especially because there's no need to. You'll reject me in the end," she stated firmly.

His eyes softened, "I know it's hard to live a life like that but that habit is unhealthy, Lyric. I will not reject you so let's start trying to help your appetite, yeah?" Lyric said nothing but her heart fluttered at his words but then her mind reminded her, 'That's because he doesn't know...'

He stretched across the table and lifted the spoon of vegetables and a slice of meat toward her lips. She turned her head in denial. "Do you want something else? Oh shit, I'm sorry. Maybe this wasn't good enough after all. I'll think of something else."

Upon hearing his worrisome nature surfacing, Lyric opened her mouth and cleaned the spoon. Chase smiled at her, showing off side dimples. 'He looks nice when he smiles,' Lyric thought. He lifted another spoon to her lips and she consumed it. This was repeated until her plate was cleared.

Chase ate his plate within about two minutes or less, leaving Lyric to stare at him gobsmacked. "What? I'm an Alpha werewolf!" He boomed out in laughter. She shook her head with a smirk, "The Pack ain't going to run out of meat, Chase."

He turned away sheepishly, "Cinderella ain't a bad story to be honest. Would you mind if I asked more questions?" She took a breath, "Yeah but you're going to ask anyway so I'll answer." He grinned, "What's your favourite dessert?" "Chocolate," she instantly responded, "yours?" "That's poisonous for dogs y'know? And cake" he acknowledged. "Too bad, I'm a wolf. Sweet," she cheekily said.

He nervously yawned and tried to wrap his arms around her shoulders but she caught him. He fake coughed to cover up his blush, "What's your favourite song?" "London Bridge is falling down," she softly responded, fighting back a smile.

***Flashback - 15 years ago***

Lyric's father walked into the room with a surrounding air of authority. His eyes held cruelty for many but a softness for his pups and his Mate. He had the same jet black curls as his children and gave the flecks of grey in Lyric's hues. He entered their Pack mansion's Music Room with a large elegant piano situated on the left corner.

Sitting on the seat was his wife with little Lyric in her lap. Her mother's fingers gracefully moved from key to key, playing the soft melody of 'London Bridge is falling down'. Little Lyric was obsessed with the intoxicating tune.

Her father sat on the right side of his wife with a smile. "Papa! I wanna do that too!" Lyric whined, pointing at her mother , playing the piano. She stopped and smiled and kissed Lyric's cheek before handing her off to her father.

As you might have noted, dear reader, Lyric was indeed a 'daddy's girl'. Her father chuckled and restarted the tune as her mother's angelic voice began singing,

"London Bridge is falling downFalling down, falling downLondon Bridge is falling down My fair lady
Build it up with iron barsIron bars, iron barsBuild it up with iron barsMy fair lady
Iron bars will bend and breakBend and break, bend and breakIron bars will bend and breakMy fair lady
Build it up with god and silverGold and silver, gold and silverBuild it up with gold and silverMy fair lady
London Bridge is falling downFalling down, falling downLondon Bridge is falling downM-y-y f-a-i-r l-a-d-y"

"Life is like music, Lyric," her mother told her, "you learn as you go. Sometimes you lead, sometimes you follow." Her father added, "The white keys represent happiness and the black keys represent sorrow. I want you to remember that both keys are needed for music."

***Flashback over***

Those nights meant much to Lyric emotionally. They are moments she could never get back. They were the best moments in her life thus far. Her immediate family would always gather before bedtime in the Music Room to sing and learn how to play instruments. The reason why she was named Lyric was because of her parents' passion for music. In fact, they met at a restaurant that offered live music.

"Other than that I like 'Fix You' by Coldplay," Lyric turned to him, "what's yours?" Chase laughed and his cheeks tinged pink, "Well, I like instrumentals more but I'd say I can't choose. I'm really indecisive at times. Ma always said, 'I hope the Moon Goddess pairs you with someone who is able to help you with decisions.'"

It was eleven o'clock. "I think it's time to head back inside," Lyric remarked, trying to rid herself of the memory and remind herself that the more time they spent together, the more bonded they will become through the Mate Bond and themselves. Something Lyric wanted to avoid. She didn't even know how she managed to not have a breakdown.

"Oh," he sounded disappointed, "yeah, I think you're right." She rose and brushed the creases off her dress, awkwardly hugging Chase. She hurried off, feeling extremely embarrassed. Before she could exit the gates, she stopped and turned around to see his starstruck features.

"Thank you. You're forgiven," she answered. Her tone was dripping with emotions that she couldn't decipher. One of them was the flame of love ignited within her. As she fell onto her bed, she questioned herself, "What the fuck is happening to me?"

Chase stood in the garden, grinning from ear to ear, "I'm grateful. I think we're getting somewhere." He headed off to bed, knowing it was going to work.

-Nightthinker ©||2017