{Chapter 9}

Moral: Life always has a purpose. 

There was Chase, sprawled on his bed with closed eyes. The only movement was the soft rise and fall of his chest. The blanket was half way falling off the bed. Lyric tilted her head and bit her lip, trying not to find him adorable at this moment. She rested the breakfast tray on his bedside table and turned to leave.

Chase grunted upon receiving the scent of his Mate and raised himself slightly on the bed. "Lyric?" he asked groggily. "No, it's the Tooth Fairy," she answered sarcastically. He flashed a sleepy grin at her then said with a cocky tone, "Good morning to you too. Nice to know you can't resist me..." He suddenly looked horrified and pulled his sheets to cover his bare chest, "Am I going to be molested?!"

Lyric rolled her eyes hard while Chase laughed, "Keep dreaming Chase. Your mother sent me up here to wake you. You've been asleep for two extra hours." She gestured to the breakfast tray. Chase's laugh was not attractive at all; it was a booming type laugh that made you laugh too.

"Oh shit!" Chase leaped up and ran to the bathroom. He suddenly popped his head out of the door and thanked her for bringing up his breakfast. His father probably was about to chew his head off for being late for office duties.

Meanwhile, Lyric decided to take a walk in the gardens. She desperately wanted to shift and run freely in her wolf form. She knew that it was not a good idea. She was on Pack Territory and she already disclosed too much information about herself. She had a reputation of secrecy to uphold.

She gazed at a butterfly that fluttered carelessly among the bright buttercups. She was determined not to grow any feelings for Chase. She put her head in her hands and sighed. Lyric was a very stubborn wolf and she was hell-bent on maintaining her resolution. She was not planning on being in love with anyone.

Chase was at office, together with the Betas and his father, reviewing their attack plans in case of any threat. Everything told to Chase went in one ear and out the next. His thoughts were diverted by Lyric and her confusing personality.

Beta Rudi, one of Alpha Harry's younger siblings, smirked mischievously at her nephew. She was clearly aware that all Chase's attention was solely on Lyric at this moment. She snapped her fingers as though attempting to wake Chase from a trance.

"Chase, if ya need some time to screw your mate, I'm sure Harry will allow." A furious blush painted Chase's cheek as he averted his father's gaze who was grinning. "I- I just can't seem to stop thinking about her," he groaned.

How strangely opposite are they yet so compatible? Lyric patently refused to acknowledge any emotions whilst Chase welcomed them with bliss.

Throughout the entire day, Lyric was miserable but did not show it. Usually, she would be hunting or guarding herself or searching for supplies but now there was no need to hunt or protect herself. There was a good amount of food in the Pack and no one would attack her hence no supplies were necessary.

Boredom stared her in the face. She spoke to a few Pack members but the conversations were not at all interesting. The subsequent four days were exactly the same and a week in Eclipse Ray Pack Territory terminated. On the third day, Kaitlynn visited with two of her friends and Lyric spent the day caring for the three pups. She found much joy in doing that.

'Two months would fly by quickly and I'd be able to live how I want again,' Lyric attempted to console herself. When Luna Evelyn and Alpha Harry arrived at home at one o' clock (earlier than usual), they refreshed themselves by having some tea with Lyric. Their conversations were more general than personal. Although, she did hear some funny stories from Chase's childhood.

Lyric found a certain liking to the members of the Arden family Pack. Of course, she would never admit that. In fact, Chase's parents shared the same view that her son did about Lyric - that she held many puzzling dark secrets.

"I'd like to ask if there's any work in the Pack that requires assistance because it's quite boring and unnatural for me to waste an entire day while everyone else does their bit." Lyric asked the couple in a respectful and confident tone.

The Alpha and Luna both looked surprised. "Lyric, I don't think that you should work. You were a Rogue-" "Still am a Rogue," Lyric mumbled but the Alpha didn't seem to mind being cut off by her. She reminded him of what he would expect his daughter to be like. "And surviving as a Rogue takes skills and energy so relax yourself and enjoy your stay in Eclipse Ray Pack."

"It's not that simple. I'm used to working my ass off to receive my ends and I hate being indebted to Pack wolves. It doesn't feel right when I sit blankly all day and other wolves work to earn my keep," Lyric explained.

The Alpha looked deep in thought, "Well, what do you have in mind?" "Anything honestly but," here she paused in hesitation, "Training would be preferable. I'd like to help train the Pack at combat," Lyric responded immediately.

The couple was slightly shocked by the request. Harry reminded himself of her advice to train more seriously. "If everyone is comfortable with the idea, you and Chase could start working day after tomorrow," Luna Evelyn smiled, knowing this could bond both Mates greatly.

"Where does Chase come in all this?" Lyric asked with a hint of annoyance in her voice. "He's been distracted at office work. You can alternate between the Head Guardians who currently do Training. Lyric, you and Chase could instruct them on how to manage in a fight in human form. Is that fine?"

Realizing she'd probably wither and die without fighting, she nodded and thanked the couple "Please inform Chase," Luna Evelyn grinned. 'They're so much like mom and dad...' Lyric thought.

-Nightthinker ©||2017