Chapter 18-Back in the glade

My body ached. I was surrounded by blackness, and I felt hot pain spreading throughout my body. I'm back in the glade, I can tell. I'd recognize the sounds of the boys and the rustling of tree leaves anywhere. I attempted to stand up and go look for my friends, but my entire body hurt. I tried to sit up, to do anything at all. I opened my eyes, slowly. I saw the roof of the medjack hut, and my hair hanging in my face. I tried to bring my hand up to my face to wipe the hair out of my eyes but I couldn't. I looked down and saw someone holding my hand, slumped over, sitting in a chair. They had rested their elbows on the mattress and their head was resting on their upper arm. I smiled at the sight of familiar, scruffy blonde hair. He must have fallen asleep here. Oh gosh I hope I wasn't away long, I'd hate to know that he's been worried about me. I squeezed his hand a bit and brushed the hair out of his eyes, so I could see his face. His eyes were closed, his long eyelashes peeking out from under his hair. He looked so young, so innocent when he was asleep. He looked like he was 14, maybe younger. I smiled, he looked so different than the serious, sometimes stressed Newt that results from being second in command. I squeezed his hand again and tried to sit up. I didn't want to wake him, but I needed some water. I sat up slowly, but my body ached and I groaned. I laid back down, resting my head on the pillow. Newt started to move, like he was waking up. He started to mumble in his sleep. I don't know what he said but he looked so cute. He adjusted where his head was on the mattress, and held my hand tighter, still asleep. Now his head was resting on his elbow. His cheek was pressed up against his arm, giving him the illusion of a small, chubby faced kid, and making him look absolutely adorable. I started to giggle, but put a hand over my mouth to muffle the sound. I didnt want to wake him up, he looked exhausted. I mentally kicked myself because apparently I laughed too loud. He started to wake up. He blinked open his eyes and yawned. Gosh he's adorable. He looked up at my face, and I smiled at him. He rubbed his eyes and smiled back at me, almost like he was still asleep. He blinked his eyes a few times, then registered that I was awake and jumped up, leaning over the bed and wrapping his arms around me. I hugged him back and smiled. I was back, and he was okay. We kept hugging and I heard him talking, even though his voice was muffled with my hair.

"You're awake, I cant believe you're awake." He said, burying his face in my shoulder. I hugged him tighter. I cant believe I'm back either. I was sitting in WICKED a few hours ago, maybe even minutes.
"I'm back." I said quietly. My voice was hoarse. Newt pulled away and smiled down at me, his hands on my shoulders.
"Don't ever do that to me again. I thought I bloody lost you." He said, semi-seriously. I nodded, looking up at his brown eyes. Gosh, I would give anything to look at them all day. When I woke up in that white bed a while ago I thought I would never see them again. He gave me a small smile.
"Well, now that we've settled that," he gently cupped my face and kissed me. Shuck, How on earth am I going to survive without him? When WICKED takes me out of the maze I don't know what I'll do. He pulled away and I moved over, letting him lay on the bed next to me. He wrapped an arm around my shoulders and I curled up next to him, trying not to move my leg too much. I winced a bit and he noticed, his eyebrows creasing in concern. I looked up at him, trying to seem fine. He looked down at my leg, then back up at my face again.
"You should get some rest. You hurt yourself pretty bad." Newt said, but he paused and yawned. I looked up at him.
"Newt, how long was I asleep?" I asked him. He didnt say anything, just looked down at me, his gaze flickering from my eyes to my leg.
"A day and a half." He said quietly. I raised my eyebrows and looked at his face.
"I think I've gotten enough sleep then." I said. I tried to sit up but Newt kept his arm around my shoulder and held me next to him.
"No, no. You need rest, alright? I'm not letting you get up." He said, looking down at me. I smiled slightly. He was being protective of me, but I could tell he was tired too. He had bags under his eyes, and his voice was deeper and scratchier than normal, like he was exhausted.
"Okay, I'll sleep. But you're sleeping with me. I can tell you're tired." I wrapped my arm around his stomach and snuggled up next to him. He yawned and wrapped his other arm around me.
"Okay," he yawned. "I can do that," and then he rested his chin on the top of my head. Soon he was snoring, and I smiled. He's so cute. I sat there, feeling the rise and fall of his chest as I drifted off to sleep.