Chapter 17

When we reached the boat, everyone slowly piled in, this time, I was in the back with Boromir Next to me. That made me a tad nervous. He was a devious man. Not to be trusted with the Ring around. I avoided eye contact at all costs. 

"Hey, so umm about everything that happened so far during the quest, I'm sorry."  A deep voice uttered inbeilveable words next to me. I turned my head slightly to look at Boromir. Personally, I was shocked he even talked to me in such a kind tone. 

"Oh....yeahhh....it's okay. The Ring does that to people." I told him. He nodded his head.

"Yes. I thought I had control over myself when we came here, but I think that once I saw the Ring, I became powerless. That is what lead to my foul behavior. I hope that you can accept my  apology." Boromir asked me. I looked at him as a different man. He seemed much kinder and more thougthful. Maybe even some courage. 

"It is accpeted." I told him. He gave a nice hearty laugh and for the next couple hours on that boat or so, we talked about our homelands. Mainly his though. I learned that he is the son of the Steward of Gondor, Denethor. Seems like a nice guy. Boromir usually goes out to fight in the wars and battles that take place near Gondor with his younger brother Faramir. Faramir sounds like a nice young lad. I also learned that Boromir had a girl that was awaiting his arrival back at Gondor. They had met on the battle field, which was a surprising story to hear. He said that the war was done and over and they were seeing if there was any living among the piles of dead people out on the battle field. When they were looking through the mounds of death, a girl had caught his eye. She was breathing very heavily and was being crushed by the countless dead that were piled on top of her. Now Boromir said that it was very odd and that he had never seen a woman on the battlefield. So after a long thought, he went over to help her. He later found out that she had taken the place of her father so that he wouldn't die in the war. After that, they fell in love. "And that's why I love seeing you and Pippin together all the time. It reminds me of me and my girl. Ah, I do miss her." Boromir reminisced on his love life. I smiled and knew that Boromir had a heart. "Tell me about your land." He asked. First, I was confused. "Which land? Because Boromir, I have come from so many different places that I do not know what to talk about." 

"Oh, may you talk about all of them. If you remember?" He asked.

"I'll give it a shot. Let's start out with the one I know most. The Shire. It's actually where I landed when I came down from the Old World. It's such a peaceful and quaint place. The best place to just relax and unwind. That's were I met Pippin, Merry, Frodo and Sam. First, I thought that I was in love with Frodo. He did propose to me. But after a long thought and him leaving me, I knew that deep down in my hearts desire, I wanted Pippin. But putting that stuff aside, I really enjoy the Shire. As for the Old World, I do not remember much. I knew that I lived somewhere near mountains and lakes. They were very pretty and I enjoyed them." I sighed as I struggled to remember the Old World. 

"What do you remember about Mirkwood?" he asked. He put his elbows on his knees and leaned forward, listening intently.

"Mirkwood, hmm. I do not remember much. I was a baby then, so I think that I wouldn't remember a lot. I wish I did though...." Boromir listened to every word that I spoke. He was quite keen on getting to know me better, since we had started off on a sour note. Although, I think that Merry and Pippin were getting jealous at the attention and thought I was giving Boromir. 

"Ah. I've always wanted to leave the boundaries of Gondor and Minas Tirith, but my father says that horrible creatures lurk outside the walls. He also implied that the Elves were no good people and that we should not trust them. Sometimes I think that my father is just keeping me there so I can be like him. But truth is, I don't want to be like my father. I want to explore Middle Earth and learn about the different lands and people there." As Boromir talked about his wishes, I realized that Boromir isn't a bad person. He wants to explore and do great things. It's just the Ring that has ruined him.