☞ underrated foods

(this is in the recommendations sections because I'm basically saying y'all need to eat these, or at least try them and then decline them politely.)

Now, obviously, if you don't like any of these, you aren't going to agree with me. But let's all be open-minded for a second because we all love food here, am I right? These are some foods/snacks I absolutely love but feel like don't get enough credit.

1. Boiled eggs

Say "ew" all you want, but let me tell you something--you cut the egg in half, take the yolk out (some people like the yolk but not me) and sprinkle some salt on it. GIRL (or BOY I'm not discriminate). For real, I could eat a whole dozen of boiled eggs this way. If you like pepper, you could add it, but my taste buds are hella sensitive so I stick with just salt.

Funny side note: my seven year old little sister takes boiled eggs for lunch. And she puts salt and pepper. I still laugh about that becAUSE WHAT KIND OF KID IS SHE SERIOUSLY.

2. Salad with ranch dressing, cheese & bacon bits

Just like it says. Nothing else. I love salad anyways, but this is one of the best salads to me, aside from a Greek one. Clearly, if you don't like ranch dressing, you probably won't like this, but lemme tell you. Drenching some lettuce in ranch, then adding shredded cheese and bacon bits on top... I THINK YES. I ate one earlier for lunch and now I have a craving to eat another. (I'm tryna be good though you know what I mean.)

3. Stuffed celery

Now, for those of you who don't know what this is (because literally no one I've ever met has known), stuffed celery is cream cheese and green olives on top of, well, celery. BEFORE YOU JUDGE, LISTEN. I hate cream cheese, I hate green olives, and celery is one of my least favorite vegetables. But you combine all three? HOT DAMN. 

Like I've mentioned before, I'm half Lebanese and my Lebanese side of the family is who does this, so I don't know if it's a Lebanese thing or not. I've looked it up before, but I never found its origins. Doesn't matter. It's still good as fuck. I pop 'em into my mouth like chips.

4. Grape leaves

I know this one is Syrian, and oh my God... talk about going into a food coma. A lot of people don't talk about these because they've either had store bought ones (which are shit, no offense if you like those but you haven't had homemade/authentic ones) and didn't like them, or they've never even heard of them. COME TO MY HOUSE, FAM, I'LL CULTURE ALL OF YOU.

5. Syrian bread

Same as above... I swear, y'all, you haven't properly lived until you've had hot, fresh Syrian rolled up with some cheese or butter or steak. Legit, you can eat anything with Syrian bread. Hell, I eat it by itself sometimes. I'm getting so many cravings right now lmao.

6. Meatloaf

HEAR ME OUT. I know meatloaf is always associated with nasty ass lunchroom food and people with traumatic childhoods, but my momma makes some damn good meatloaf, okay. I used to be obsessed with it (and it's still good). It's like the meat, like ground beef or something, with chopped onion and bell peppers and she seasons it, but then she puts ketchup all on the top. If you don't like ketchup, this isn't the meal for you, but for real, I used to add ketchup on the side and eat the meatloaf like chicken nuggets. IT WAS AN A1 MEAL, I PROMISE. 

7. Apple slices & caramel

Obviously apple slices & peanut butter is always in the rage (as well it should be, but this is an underrated category), but no one ever mentions apples and caramel. I don't even like caramel, but you best believe I eat the hell out of it when apple slices are involved. You know those fruit trays in the stores? Those have the best caramel, for real. If y'all ever want to see how fat I can really be, buy me one of those trays and set a timer.

8. Salmon

One of the only fish I eat, tbh. My cousin hates salmon, but I found a recipe with salmon, and being the good little chef that I am, I got her obsessed. Like every time she comes over, she asks me if I'm making my infamous salmon dish. Salmon is one of those dishes where it has to be prepared and cooked right or else it'll taste like shit. 

My family is full of cooks, so if any of y'all need someone to feed you, we'll welcome you with open arms, I promise.

9. Watermelon

It doesn't get the hype it deserves. When you find the really good watermelon, it's life changing. I'm talking sweet, juicy watermelon that you can eat until you're sick. Now, when I don't get lucky with a sweet watermelon, I sprinkle salt on it. (I'm a salt junkie, tbh.) BEST SHIT EVER.

10. Oysters

I know y'all are all gagging now, but I ain't gonna change my mind. Maybe it's because I live in the south and my grandpa used to run a seafood place, but oysters are so underrated. A lot of people judge them because they look hella gross and slimy, but if you get oysters in the right time, it's some good shit. It's the perfect example of a food that makes you go out of your comfort zone. Salty oysters on some saltines... YAS. Or you could slurp it out of the shell tbh. Am I making y'all nauseous yet? I know no one will agree with me on this xD

I could make this list longer but I need to update by actual book, lol.

What are some foods that you don't think get enough appreciation?