seventeen

Anushka's POV

Finally, it was the end of the long, dragging day. I didn't meet Octavia at her locker this time, since she told me she was meeting someone there after class. Weaving through the crowd, I made my way to my locker. I was going to open it when someone startled me.

"Hiya!" A familiar voice shouted from over my shoulder. I gasped and jerked around to see the eccentric blonde with a creepily happy smile on her face, standing far too close for my comfort. I slowly took a step back and chuckled sheepishly, brushing some hair behind my ear.

"Connie! Um, hi.. can I help you?"

"I'm not here for help. I'm just here to tell you that you deserve everything that's coming for you." Connie replied with what seemed to be a fake smile, but then again, all of her smiles seemed fake or creepy.

"Oh... thank you?"

With that, she laughed vaguely and walked away, while I just stood there with a confused expression on my face. I then turned the knob around on my lock, letting it click open before opening my locker.

As soon as my locker opened, something fell out on me, making me squeal and drop my books. When I saw what it was, I screamed again, backing up quickly and dusting off some kind of fake dirt from my pants. It was such a 'typical girl' reaction to something gross, but I didn't care. What fell out of my locker was a rat. At first glance, it looked like a real one, which made he freak out even more, but as I got a better look at it, I realized it was only one of those silly rubber toys they sell at the dollar store, for little brothers to spook their family members.

Once I collected myself, I tried to subtly go back and pick up the dropped books on the floor, gathering each book and folder into my arm, knowing everyone in the hall was staring at me because of the scene I had just caused. I quickly shoved my books into my locker and pulled my bag out, putting in my necessities before slamming the locker shut and hurrying past the fake rat on the floor and out of the hectic school. I quickly texted Octavia to let her know I was leaving, and then waited for my brother to drive in and pick me up. Thankfully, he reached quicker than I thought he would, so I wouldn't have another horrible encounter with Connie.

"Hi, Bhaiyya." I said softly, hopping into the car I found all too familiar.

"You seem tired, long day?"

"Yeah, it was just weird and tiring. Can you drop me up at Luke's?"

There was a sudden silence before a hum and a nod came from my brother. As much as he didn't trust him, he knew that he didn't want to build a wall between us, which would only make me resent my brother.

We reached and I opened the door, hopping down from my brother's car and going right into the luxurious lobby, where I was greeted by the goofy doorman and taken up to the penthouse that belonged to my boyfriend's family.

Luke's POV

"Luke, Anushka is here!" I heard Jessie yell from downstairs, making me drop my controller and spring out of the chair I sat in, darting towards the door and then down the stairs, where I ran right into the girl waiting in the foyer. I wrapped my arms around her, much to her utter surprise, which only made her reaction even more satisfying for me. I backed away and she rocked on her feet awkwardly, making me laugh as I led her to the terrace. She had her school bag with her, and just knowing her for the short time I have, I knew she would make me catch up on the class work I missed.

We both sat at the table outside, and she rested her chin on her palm, an unreadable expression on her face, which made me wonder what exactly happened while I was gone. Especially after that call Creepy Connie dropped by me.

"What did she do?" I asked, and Anushka let out a breath as if she had been waiting for me to ask that the whole time.

"She shoved a fake rat in my locker and made me freak out in front of the whole hallway. Why don't you just tell her that you don't like her?"

"You think I haven't tried that?!"

"Okay, don't yell at me!"

"Sorry."

Anushka chuckled at my apology and I sighed, watching as Jessie walked in with a tray of water, setting the two glasses down in front of us before leaving. By this time, Anushka was taking out folders and books, which meant she was going to make me do schoolwork, and she probably wouldn't leave to sit in the screening room until we finish.

"Okay, this stuff isn't that hard. It's just different sentence types."

"Mhm." I nodded and scooted my chair closer to her, leaning in as she showed me the book, my eyes following her small fingers as they pointed to different points and paragraphs. Eventually, I used my hand to push some hair behind her ear, but she shook my hand away and tried to show me more boring school stuff. I wasn't interested.

"Come on, Anushka, let's go to the screening room."

"No, Luke, you need to catch up."

"Come on.." I whined and placed my hand on her thigh, which was a horrible decision bevause she squeaked and threw her water on me. Just when she did, my sister must have walked on to the terrace, because there was a moment of silence before a fit of laughter, coming from both my girlfriend and Zuri behind me. Zuri walked over and stood next to Anushka, laughing at me, as my hair was soaking wet and dripping water on to my shirt.

"Ah... keep this one, Luke."