three

Luke's POV

I left school that day, feeling pretty confident. It must have been pretty obvious on my face, since as soon as the elevator reached our apartment, and all of my other siblings scattered to do their own things, Jessie pulled me aside to talk to me.

"Luke? Why does your face look like you just won the lottery?"

"I met this girl at school."

"Aw, is she new?"

"No, I've just never seen her before, which is kind of weird because I know everybody."

"Well, clearly you don't." She corrected, and then sat me down on the couch in the living room, her hands sitting patiently in her lap as she smiled and cocked her head to the side, "so, tell me about this girl. What's her name?"

"Her name is Anushka. She's like— Indian, like Ravi.. but less nerdy. She's so pretty. Kind of exotic, and I can make her laugh, which is already a foot in for a date."

"Who told you that?"

"No one. I just know it. Duh."

"That's fair. So, are you asking her out?"

Just as I was about to answer, Zuri walked in on our conversation. "Luke's asking a girl out? Does she not have a sense of smell?"

"For your information, I put on deodorant today. It's pretty much a shower in a bottle."

Jessie didn't say anything, she just rubbed my arm and shook her head, while Zuri rolled her eyes and went upstairs. Did I say something?

Anushka's POV

My brother had plenty of questions about my school day, but I just didn't feel like answering them. All I could think about was whether giving Luke my number was such a good idea. What if he didn't even call or text me? What if he was just being friendly and threw the paper away as I left his sight? What if he already has a girlfriend?

I sat in the passenger seat, overthinking, until I heard my brother calling my name.

"Anu. Anu, Anushka!"

"Wha-what? Hm?"

"Tired?"

"No— just thinking. It was a weird day."

I couldn't tell Anwaar about Luke. He was awfully protective, and I didn't want to tell him about something that really wasn't something, yet. All of our lives, he's been like that; protective, closed off, kind of intimidating, at least towards anyone besides me. It seemed to work out for him, since he inherited my parents' business and wealth, which is how I've lived for the longest time. The car ride back home was too quick— or so it seemed. I was lost in my own head, for the whole ride, which probably made it seem like it wasn't very long.

As we went up the elevator, to or contemporary apartment, Anwaar and I talked amongst ourselves, simply about our day and whatever happened, as well as what we should have for dinner. Once we were up, I dropped my bag in the living room, and rushed up the stairs, to my bedroom. I kicked my shoes off, and changed into some shorts and a loose sweatshirt, collapsing on my bed, finally. That was when my phone buzzed, receiving a call from an unknown number.