four

Luke's POV

I talked to her for the longest time. Well, it didn't feel like I did for very long, but Jessie came knocking, announcing that I've been in my room for two hours. I didn't want to stop, but I had to for homework.

"Okay.. I gotta go, but I'll see you tomorrow." Receiving a bye from her, I hung up and hopped off my bed, rushing downstairs for homework (even though, I'll end up making Ravi do it).

Once I was done persuading my brother to do it for me, I decided to ask Emma for advice on what to wear tomorrow. I might even take a shower. Running up to my older sister's room and knocking on it twice, I waited outside the door, hoping I don't get hit in the face with glitter or something. She opened the wooden door with a smile on her face, until she looked down at me and the smile changed into an annoyed expression.

"What do you want?"

"Help?"

"Yes, showering occasionally is a good idea."

"No. I mean with a girl. Like I wanna impress her."

"Ooh! Do I get to pick what you wear?"

"Fine. Just don't make me look bad."

Emma rolled her eyes and tugged my forearm into her room, apparently for a 'makeover.'

Anushka's POV

"Anu! Come on, what are you doing up there?" My brother called out, watching as I emerged from my bedroom with a smile on my face. I was in there for a long time, even longer than usual.. and usually after school, I take a nap.

"Sorry. I was... napping."

"That was a pretty long nap. Rough day?"

"You could say that."

"You wanna go to the park?"

"Sure. Come on, can we eat out today?"

"Yeah, yeah. Let's go!" Anwaar said, running through the living room, and into the elevator, me trailing behind him. We waited in the elevator for it to go down, and then went straight to the park across the street from our apartment. Normally, Anwaar and I tried to go to the park as often as we could, when I don't have loads of homework, or when he's not held up at work. It brought back memories of how he would sneak me out of the group home I was in, just so we could get a walk in, every week.

"You remember you have dance tomorrow?"

"Yeah. I actually almost forgot."

"How? Don't you love it?"

"I do. Just that a lot happened today. New schedule and all."

"I see. Make any new friends?"

   "Um... yeah. I did." At this point, I decided to let him know I was just friends with Luke. He deserved to know, and after everything Anwaar as been through, and done for me, I just couldn't lie to him. "His name is Luke, he's in my English class."

"Luke..." my brother mumbled, slowing his walking pace down a bit and finding a bench for us to sit on together, "he uh- he's your age?"

   "Yes, I told you, he's in my English class."

"Does he have a girlfriend?"

   "Bhai, please. We're just friends, okay? Seriously."

Bhaiyya [brother] held his hands up in surrender, chuckling at my sudden rant, "okay! Okay, I'm just looking out for you. There are some stupid guys out there, I've been friends with some. You're naive. That's practically what they live off of; naive, pretty girls, looking for affection. I'm not saying you're dumb— but you don't have much experience when it comes to people like that."

   "Yeah, because you've like.. shielded me from it my entire life."

"I just hope this Luke guy knows what's waiting for him, if he tries anything funny."