fourteen

Luke's POV 

The wonderful weekend came to end, Monday coming back around with a loud knock on my door and Jessie screaming from the other side of it. She did it every morning, even if we had our alarm clocks. I rolled out of bed and dressed up, combing though the curls at the top of my head before walking out to join the rest of my siblings at breakfast. The morning passed as usual; all of us talking about the weekend and what we expect to happen in the week, before the bus arrived and we were rushed out of the house.

As soon as I hopped off the bus, I heard a high pitched squeak, followed by my name.

"Luke!" 

It wasn't a voice I necessarily recognized. So, it wasn't Anushka's. I turned, searching for the owner of the voice that was vaguely a part of my memory, only to see that I shouldn't have looked in the first place.

"Connie?!" I cried, my eyebrows furrowing while my stomach sank. The looney blonde emerged from the crowd and smiled excitedly, making me cringe.

   "Hiya, freckles!"

"Heh, hey Connie. What brings you here?"

   "I go to school here, silly! So, how's my Lukie Pookie?" Connie asked, walking her fingers up my chest, which made me automatically flinch away, backing up from her. 

I started to walk away, seeing Anushka waiting for me at the stairs going up to the doors of the school, and I needed to get away from Connie. I knew she was following me, because I kept hearing her voice, rambling on and on about whatever she was rambling about. Finally, Anushka started walking up to me, and we met in the middle. Obviously, I couldn't exactly explain the situation at hand, right then, as confused as she looked, but I intended on telling her when we reached first period.

"Connie. This is Anushka. Anushka, this is Creepy- I mean Connie." I said, introducing the two, turning to Connie so I could send her a message, "Anushka is my girlfriend."

As soon as those words left my mouth, I could see Connie tense up and glare daggers at Anushka, which made me worry that I might have put her in an uncomfortable place with Connie. 

I think I just put a target on my girlfriend's back.

Anushka's POV 

I sensed Luke's uneasiness, while talking to this Connie girl. I had seen her before, but I never bothered to know her name, since she generally seemed to scare me. Quickly, after he finished talking to her, he grabbed my arm and started leading me into the school, his feet moving quickly against the pavement. I didn't hesitate, I just followed until we stopped at his locker.

"Luke, what was that about?"

   "What was what about?" My boyfriend asked quickly, frantically grabbing his things out of his locker before shutting it as quick as he could. The only problem with that, was that he shut it on his own thumb. A cry escaped his lips and he clutched his red finger, and I rushed my hands over to see what he did. 

"Oh god, Luke. Would you relax before you hurt yourself again?"

   "Ow.." Luke breathed out as I examined his thumb, "Creepy Connie is a childhood nightmare. She's had a crush on me since I was in the sixth grade, and has made that pretty clear plenty of times. She's stolen my things and held a stuffed koala hostage, and sabotaged a school play while setting an auditorium on fire, and forced me into a wedding on my terrace by tying me and all her guests up in chairs."

I was examining Luke's bruised finger, until he started talking about everything he had experienced with her, causing me to look up at him, keeping his hand still sandwiched between mine. My eyebrows furrowed as he finished and looked at our hands, but that didn't stop me from holding his. 

"So, basically, she's not a threat? At least, i don't have to worry about you... being interested in her?"

   "Of course not. But she is a physical threat, so if she messes with you, come to me, and I'll handle it."

"Yeah? That's sweet, but you seemed pretty shaken up when you were talking to her just now." 

   "Pshh, what? I don't know what you're talking about, miss. Kryptonians are afraid of nothing." We shared a laugh and he stepped closer to me, making me back up against the lockers behind me, giving him the opportunity to move closer without me backing away again. His hand rested next to my head and he used his other hand to lace his fingers through mine while he leaned down and brushed his lips against my cheek.

This was practically our first display of affection, public or not. It surprised me that no one stopped us or said anything, because Luke was peppering kisses on my face for a while, until he stopped and pressed his forehead against mine. I looked up at him and smiled softly, wrapping my arms around his neck, my elbows resting on his shoulders because of him being so close.

"You wanna come over tonight?" Luke whispered in my ear.

   "I'd love to, you want me to help you study for the test on Friday?"

A chuckle left his lips and he nodded, "Yeah, we can do that too."

At that moment, I understood what exactly he wanted to happen when I came over this evening, which made my cheeks turn red and my feet to shift underneath me. Suddenly, the bell rang, making us separate from each other, walking towards our class, hand in hand.