Remember Me [3]

- C H A P T E R  T H R E E -  

"Can I ask you something?" Eric asked as we were walking back to the house.

"Sure," I said.

"Where's your mum?"

Just then my walking pace slowed down and I stopped. My eyes met with Eric and then moved away, afraid that the tears were going to invade any second longer. It’s been almost three years but I had never forgotten about her death. It’s a small town around here; everyone knows the story so they don’t speak about it at all. Mum was mentioned but no one really asked me what happened to her. Thinking back to that day gave me shivers and brought tears to my eyes.  

"Rose-Mary," he called, quietly. He placed both his hand on each of my shoulders and then with one hand lifted my chin up. “You okay?”

"Sorry," I apologised, quietly, wiping the single tear that was rolling down my cheek. “Mums…”

"I'm so sorry..."

“Don’t say sorry please,” I asked, “I hate it.”

"Do you think about her much?" He asked me.

"Always," I answered, "She was the kind, caring, and understanding. She’s a mum anyone would die for. I wish she was here."

“Do you…want to talk about it?”

I shook my head.

"Here," he said, handing me a piece of tissue that he pulled out from his pockets. "I thought it might come in handy."

"Thanks," I whispered, clearing up my tears again.

"Come on. Let’s go," he said, smiling. "It's funny how you don't have a job." 

"How do you know that?" 

"Harry told me." 

"How much did he tell you?"

"He told me you used to work in the bakery and he set the place on fire," he said, "I didn't believe him at first but then I thought about it and it was possible for a person like you to do that." 

"What?" What was that supposed to mean? "It was only a little accident." 

He laughed. "So you did?" 

I nodded. 

"How?"

"I...was writing down what people wanted and the stove was on so I left it next the stove and the next thing you know...there was a fire and it caught onto things nearby," I explained, "yeah, then I got fired which was totally unfair...” 

"Rose-Mary Bloomwood set a bakery on fire," he said like the people on the news channels. "Then expected her boss not to fire her." 

"Shut up." I punched him jokingly and he punched me back.

"What about Harry? Has he got a job?" 

"Yeah," I answered. "He works in this fish shop and it reeks in there. Right now, he is taking some time off work." 

"He would," he laughed.

On the rest of the way to the house, Eric tried to make me laugh by telling me these awful jokes. Secretly, I was laughing at him, not with him but he didn’t need to know that.

Just before we entered the house, I stopped him. He was not coming inside until he threw the disgusting shoes in the bin. I struggled to make him take it off. He kept complaining about how this was his only shoes and he didn’t want to walk around with only socks on his feet.