Remember Me [1]

Dedicated to Laurss for making my awesome book cover for me! (Ask her if you want a book cover. She fantastic!) Thanks Laurss

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

                                           - C H A P T E R  O N E - 

I pulled the udder and squeezed it, letting the milk pour into the big blue bucket. I've been doing this for ten minutes and the bucket was still not half full. My hands began to get tired. I paused and sat back on my mini chair and relaxed for a while. The suns horrible rays shone on to my pale skin, as if it was trying to turn me into water. I fanned my face with my hand but it wasn't much use as it made me feel even hotter than I already was. Milky, the cow, mooed as I gently patted her stomach. She was just staring at the light blue sky like she did almost every other day and enjoyed the sun. That was the reason I milked her outside, because of her love for the sun.

I stretched out my arms, feeling much better and just as I yawned I heard a wild scream coming from behind me. I stopped yawning half way and then I instantly turned my head around and stood up when I saw what was happening.

"Somebody!" shrieked the man as he ran. "Help me!"

I stared at him as he ran across the field, not far from me, screaming his head off. He was wearing a dirty white shirt, covered in stains, a red, dirty hooded cardigan that was unzipped and his blue jeans were torn at the bottom and around the knees. He was also wearing trainers, covered in mud and his brown hair was all over the place from what I could see.

I laughed a little as he continued to run. What was so hilarious was that he was being chased. Not by a girl. Not by a boy. Not by a human. But he was being chased by a group of chickens and from the looks of his face, I could tell her was going to have a heart attack. Chickens were not scary at all but I guess not everybody loves them.

They were our chickens and someone must have left the gate open for them to escape again. I shook my head and folded my arm and my older brother, Harry, who is twenty three, came and stood next to me, also staring at the man that was being chased by chickens, laughing.

"Should we help him?" Harry asked me, turning his head to face me.

I shrugged my shoulders. "I don't know. I'm just enjoying watching this." I joked.

"Me too," he chuckled.

The man suddenly tripped over something and landed flat on his face and turned his body around so that his face was facing the sun. Me and Harry roared with laughter when the chickens pounced on top of him and from what I saw, it seemed like he was going to have a fit. It was getting a bit out of control now as the chickens started to peck on him so I decided it was time to go and help him instead of laughing at him.

"He could be hurt," I said, worrying a little. 

"Who cares if he dies? It's not our problem," Harry said with no sympathy in his voice. "Laugh a little." 

I scowled at him. "You are so heartless. I'm going to go help him." I began to walk, and then stopped and turned to Harry. "Can you carry on milking Milky?" I asked

"I don't kn-"

"Thanks," I interrupted him and ran. I knew if I stayed a second later, he would start to tell me how he didn't want to do it and then I would have to do it myself, leaving the poor man getting beaten by chickens.

"Rose-Mary," he called but I ignored him and carried on to walk towards the man.

When I finally reached him, I was out of breath. I was panting madly like a dog. I didn't know how he had all this energy to be running. If I couldn't run one hundred meters without getting tired, I don't know how he does it. He must be really fit.