Nothing Like This - Chapter 13

Chapter Thirteen

I frown, feeling the same chill run down my back.

“Pretty fast, I can carry your mother,” Nicholas says, picking Faith up.

She laughs, hugging him.

I look over my shoulder and whisper, “Try to keep up with me. We need to go now,” I start running through the streets as fast as I can, hearing Faith and Nicholas gasp in shock yet again.

Soon I hear Nicholas’ feet pounding the pavement, trying to keep up with me.

I glance over my shoulder, surprised. He is pretty much right behind me!

“Wow you run fast!” I comment, looking at Nicholas as he runs beside me.

He laughs, “Well it’s a talent I see you picked up as well Emily,”

“Well… not exactly. I’ll explain more when we get there!” I say, turning sharply to the thicker parts of the woods.

Nicholas follows me, “Why are we going through this part of the woods?”

I laugh and say, “Shortcut!!”

They both laugh as they follow.

I stop at the top of the large hill. “We are here! C’mon I’ll show you where I’m staying. There you’ll meet the father of this child,” I kiss Lilly gently, seeing she’s gone back to sleep.

“Well… alright then,” Faith says, laughing as Nicholas cradles her like I cradle Lilly.

I laugh, “Dad! Don’t imitate me and Lilly!”

He lifts Faith and piggybacks her. “Is that better?” he asks sarcastically.

I laugh, “Yep, come on, I’ll take you to see Soldier and Kalona!” I start going slower down the hill.

I see Mason standing by one of the tents and call to him, “Hey Mason!!”

He comes over to me, “Hey Emily! So are these your parents?”

“Yes,” Nicholas says, letting Faith down. He shakes Mason’s hand, “Nice to meet you Mason,”

I wave to him, “Talk to you later!!” running through the rows of tents, soon stopping just outside my tent.

“We’re here,” I say, holding the doorway open, “Soldier! Kalona! Come out here you two, I want to introduce you to someone!!” I call into the tent.

I hear Soldier call back, “Be there in a sec Emily, Anne finished up the crib earlier than we thought! We are putting it down!!”

I laugh, “C’mon slow pokes! We can’t wait out here forever!!”

I soon hear a loud bang and a cry of shock soon followed by shouting, “Soldier you idiot! Don’t DROP IT!!” Kalona yells.

“If you had held up your end properly I wouldn’t have dropped it!!!” Soldier argues.

I shout into the tent, “Don’t make me come in there you two!! Work it out and hurry up!!”

They both start laughing and come out of the tent, pushing each other playfully, “Hey, Emily,” Kalona says, hugging me, kissing Lilly gently. He looks at Nicholas and Faith, “Who might they be?”

I laugh, “Kalona, Soldier, these are my parents, Faith and Nicholas. Mom, Dad, this is Kalona, he is Lilly’s father. And this is my friend Soldier,” I lay my hand on Soldier’s shoulder.

Dad laughs, shaking Kalona’s hand, “So you’re the father? I hope you’ve been treating Lilly and my daughter like princesses!”

Kalona laughs, “Of course sir,”