Nothing Like This - Chapter 8

Chapter Eight

After a while of hammering and threats being yelled from outside everything is settling down. Jamal, Gabriel and a few others have brought down a heavy wood chest from upstairs and have put it in front of the front door; another identical chest is placed at the back door.

Alexander is pacing back and forth in the living room, wondering how long the blockades can last.

Soldier is sitting with Gabriel, Jamal, Sophia, and Hailey.

I rush up the stairs, into the guest bedroom, where the kids still sit, huddled together in fear. They smile happily when they see me enter the room.

“Kids you need to come downstairs ok? You need to be with the others now,” I say, standing in front of them.

They follow me downstairs, wondering what the problem could be.

“Okay everyone is downstairs, the windows and doors are locked and sealed. Turn all the lights off, the light will only help him in finding a way inside,” I say, turning off the living room and porch lights. Soldier Jamal and Gabriel run to turn all the lights off.

I go to Sophia and say, “If he gets inside… he’s coming after me first. I can guarantee that now,”

“Alicia there is no proof that this will happen, you must have faith,” Sophia says, placing a hand on my shoulder.

“I know it’s just… I don’t want this to affect you all in a negative way. If anyone in this house is getting hurt by Kalona I will make sure that it is me and not anyone else,” I say, looking towards the front door.

“Alicia I understand that you are afraid for everyone’s safety but we are stronger in numbers,” Sophia says, looking at the boarded windows and the doors.

I sigh and turn to Sophia, “Sophia I cannot let any of you help me, it is my fight not yours and I don’t want anyone to get seriously hurt. You have to understand Sophia I am doing this for your safety,”

Sophia opens her mouth to speak but is interrupted by a loud *BANG* on the front door. The chests in front of the door rattle loudly but stay in place. I turn to the door quickly, worried about if Kalona manages to make his way inside.

“Sophia, get everyone down in the basement and please hurry! No one is to come up that staircase! I will call you if I need the help,” I say, gently pushing Sophia towards the basement steps.

“But Alicia…” Sophia starts, sounding concerned for me.

“No Sophia I must handle this on my own, no one is to help me and that is final!!” I say, leading everyone else downstairs.

Soldier is struggling with me, trying to stay on the main floor. “Alicia, please don’t do this, let me stay and help at least. You can’t handle Kalona by yourself and you know that! Why would you do something so reckless?”

I sigh, “Because I care about you Soldier! I care about everyone here and I will not have him hurt any one of you,”

Soldier looks at me long and hard, wondering if I would really risk my own life to save them from Kalona.

“Soldier my decision is final, I will fight Kalona with all the strength I have… if it will keep you safe,” I explain, laying my hands on Soldier’s shoulders.

I gently push Soldier towards the staircase again. This time Soldier does not struggle with me. At the top of the stairs I turn Soldier towards me and say, “Soldier if I need help I will ask for it, if I don’t then under no circumstances are you to come up those stairs,”