Nothing Like This - Chapter 7

Chapter Seven

All has gotten out of hand; Kalona is fighting with Soldier, still trying to get to Firelexis. Soldier is keeping himself between Firelexis and Kalona.

I come to the bottom of the stairs, look at them fighting and start yelling, “Stop it both of you!!”

Of course they are too into what they are doing to hear me.  They continue to fight.

I run to them, being careful not to get hit by their swords. I stand in between them.

Kalona and Soldier are still trying to fight each other. Now Kalona is swinging his sword at me.

Soldier has backed away from Kalona and is now talking with Firelexis, asking if she is alright.

I catch Kalona’s sword in my hands as it reaches me. I hold it tight between my hands. I pull his sword, trying to get it away from him.

Firelexis looks at me, shocked by what I am trying to do. I am trying to make it so Kalona can’t hurt Soldier.

My hands are getting cut badly, and the pain is unbearable, but I know that if I let go of this sword, Kalona will kill me (at least that is what I suppose will happen if I let go). So I keep my hands around the blade of the sword, tugging and pulling at it. Blood drips from my hands onto the carpet. I ignore the pain and keep pulling.

Kalona seems aggravated by my attempts to disarm him. He also seems, oddly enough, totally relaxed. Though with every tug I pull him closer to me, he does not look as if he wishes to fight me.

Kalona frowns, annoyed with my actions, he takes one hand and pushes me away from him.

I fall backwards; Soldier catches me from behind, looking up at Kalona.

I get to my feet, a little dazed.  I start walking towards Kalona. Soldier and Gabriel hold my shoulders.

I start singing softly, “Another day in this carnival of souls, another nights ends, end as quickly as it goes. The memories are shadows; ink on the page, and I can’t seem to find my way home. And it’s almost like, your heaven’s trying everything, your heaven’s trying everything, to keep me out. All the places I’ve been and things I’ve seen. A million stories that made up, a million shattered dreams,” I turn to everyone behind me “The faces of people I’ll never see again. And I can’t seem to find my way home. ‘Cause it’s almost like; your heaven’s trying everything to break me down. ‘Cause it’s almost like, your heaven’s trying everything to keep me out; ‘Cause it’s almost like, your heaven’s trying everything to break me down. ‘Cause it’s almost like, your heaven’s trying everything; your heaven’s trying everything to break me down, to break me down. To break me down, your heaven’s trying everything, your heaven’s trying everything to break me… down,”

I turn back to Kalona, draw my sword and stand perfectly still.  I look back at my friends; each of them has a horrified look in their eyes.

I smile, knowing in my heart that this will be the last that I see them all like this. I go to Soldier; he has tears in his eyes. “Soldier I’m sorry… but I must,” I give Soldier a long hug. As Soldier and I hug, everyone around us joins in. Everyone who can’t contain themselves is crying, Hailey is crying more than everyone here (except for Soldier)

When we finally release, everyone is wiping tears from their eyes. I go to Gabriel and Sophia, standing side by side. “Take care of Firelexis and Hailey, keep them safe,”

They nod, smiling.

I go to Hailey next; she is sitting on the couch, still crying over what I have said. I sit next to her and say softly, “Hailey it is alright, I am only doing this because I think that it is the best for all of you. I want you all to be safe...” I pause briefly, looking around the room. “If I have to sacrifice myself to do so then that is what I will do,” I hug her tightly.

Hailey cries harder as I give her one last hug. Her shoulders tremble as she tries to contain her tears.

I hold onto her shoulders and say softly, “Hailey if I do manage to get back here… I will notify Soldier. If he gets the call, wait for the news. While I am gone, Hailey, Gabriel and Sophia will watch over you,”

Hailey nods, wiping her eyes.

I get up from the couch and turn back to Kalona, who is standing in the same spot. I draw my sword and stand feet away from Kalona.

Kalona begins drawing his sword when I stop him, “Wait! Not here,”

Kalona leaves, waiting for me on the lawn.

I begin to leave, stop, and walk over to Soldier. I stop just in front of him and say, “Soldier if I do manage to escape, I will call you on your cell phone,”

“Okay Alicia,” Soldier says, looking me in the eyes.

I kiss Soldier for what seems like an eternity.  Look deep into his eyes, and then begin walking towards the door.

Behind me everyone is trying to contain their tears, as they watch me leave for what might be the last time.

I am just inside the doorframe, looking at Kalona, waiting for me in the yard his arms crossed over his chest.

I look back at my friends, then Kalona again. I shake my head, I will not risk my life for nothing if I do risk my life I will do it in the company of the people dearest to me. I slowly back away from the door.

Soldier whispers to the others, “What is she doing?”

I lift my right hand, asking for them to stay quiet. The talking stops. I continue to back away from the door; I stand just inside the house, my right hand resting on the door. I say as I slam the door, “You will not do this Kalona and I will ensure that you never will!!”

I turn to everyone, “Get something to hold the door! Quickly I can’t hold it for very long!!”

I lean against the door; Jamal and Gabriel come to help me.

Sophia and Firelexis go to find something to put in front of the door that is heavy enough that it will keep Kalona out.

Soon after they return down the stairs, asking for others to help bring it down, a few others rush up the stairs to help.

I move my feet slightly, adjusting my position so I can hold the door. I look towards the window. “He could break the windows,” I motion with my hands for Jamal and Gabriel to find something to block the windows, “Floor boards, cabinet doors, anything that can keep him out,”

They begin looking through the rooms, looking for spare wood to block the windows, soon after they come back with armfuls of wood. They begin looking through the toolboxes for nails and hammers.