Nothing Like This - Chapter 4

Chapter Four

I move the pony-tail away from her back. My jaw drops and I get to my feet, terrified by what I see.... a pair of black wings.

"How do you know of him? How do you know of Kalona?" I ask, stepping away from the girl.

She stands up, looks up to the clouds and says, "He's my protector,"

"Protector, he protects you?" I ask, looking at the little girl's bright red eyes.

"He protects all of us. All who help," the girl says, looking at me.

The wind picks up, the trees around us shake.

The little girl turns into the wind and says, "He is here. I must tell him who is here,"

"Alright go tell him, I'll wait here," I say calmly.

The girl nods and runs into the trees.

Soon Kalona comes out of the trees and next to him the little girl, pointing towards me.

I look into Kalona's eyes and say softly, "You wanted to kill me... here is your chance to do it!'

Kalona looks at me, a hint of emotion in his amber-coloured eyes.

I narrow my eyes; it is as if Kalona looks at me with... compassion? Yes compassion. I have never seen this before.

"Why do you look with compassion at your greatest enemy? I must know," I say, frowning at the sudden silence between us.

"Your eyes remind me of... someone… I see you have a fighting spirit within you, just as they do,” He looks down at the girl. "Thank you Hailey. This is the one I have been wanting,"

Hailey nods.

"Kalona if you are as smart as I think you are, then you know why I am here," I say, looking towards the sky.

"Yes, you wish for me to take your life. I understand what I must do. But what I do not understand is why, after all these years; do you now choose to end your life?" Kalona says, stepping closer to me.

"He died at your hands Kalona, I cannot stand that," I say.

"Yes I suppose I am responsible for his passing..." Kalona says.

"No, you are not responsible for his death.... I am, if I hadn't fought with you, Soldier would not have come to save me. It is my fault that Soldier is dead,” This statement brings tears to my eyes.

"You wish me to end your life because of him? You think that life is not worth living... if he is not in your life?" Kalona says.

Hailey stands at his side, keeping quiet.

"I wish to fight you! I may die in doing so... but it will be worth it. If I have a chance, if any, of surviving the fight…then I will do it myself," I explain, bringing my sword in front of me.

Kalona takes a few steps back, smiling devilishly.

"What is he doing?!" I wonder as I watch him move steadily backwards.

Kalona whispers something to Hailey as he passes her.

She nods in response, taking a small, child-size, sword from her belt.

My jaw drops. He wants me to fight a little girl!!

Kalona stands a few yards away, watching.

Hailey smiles playfully, "Alicia, I want to play a game with you,"

I get down to her level and ask, "A game? What are the rules?"

Hailey smiles and says softly, "Survive," She jumps at me.