Nothing Like This - Chapter 2

Chapter Two

“Alicia, you have put yourself at an unbelievably dangerous risk!” Soldier says, not taking his eyes off of mine.

“I know I have… I thought it over knowing that I would be taking an enormous risk. But it was the only chance I had at the time, he had me cornered, I dropped my sword. He held his sword to my throat, I couldn’t move. I had only one option, to grab his arm and get the sword away from my throat. That is exactly what I was trying to do,” I explain, tears flowing down my cheeks.

Soldier wipes away my tears with his hands and says, “It is alright, I understand. All we can do is hope that something can be done to stabilize your condition,”

He and I stand up. I look around and say, “Where is Axel?”

Soldier lays a hand on my shoulder and says, “He left while Kalona had you in the kitchen,”

I nod my head, relieved that he has left. I put a hand to my head, suddenly feeling dizzy.

Soldier says in a slightly alarmed tone, “Alicia? Are you alright?”

“Yeah I-I’m just d-dizzy,” I stutter.

The only furniture in the room besides the bookshelf and the radio is a black couch.

I stumble over to the couch and lie down.

Soldier takes a chair from the kitchen and sits next to me.

I look at his expression; he is clearly scared beyond belief. I whisper to him, “Soldier, please do not be afraid. Even if I do die, I will die happy, knowing that I am here, with you. Please, stay here with me. I don’t want you to leave. Can you promise me that you will stay?”

Soldier looks into my eyes and says, “Of course I will,”

I close my eyes as I feel a stab of pain in my chest. I whisper, “Soldier I will always love you,”

Soldier chokes back a sob. He says softly, “I love you too,” Soldier kisses my forehead lightly.

I close my eyes and drift into unconsciousness. My head falls to one side.

Soldier feels my pulse, my heart beats faintly. Soldier looks at me sadly.

Although I lay unconscious I feel every bit of excruciating pain that is passing through my body. To put it simply, it felt as if I were being stabbed in the heart over and over and I could never die.

Soldier turns the chair away from me and cries softly, thinking that I have died.

I am coming to now, starting to wake from my unconscious state.  I slowly open my eyes, and look around. I sit up slowly. I know that if I survived the bite that I have been changed forever.

I turn my legs over the side of the couch and sit close to Soldier. Soldier is still sobbing.

I say slowly, “Soldier please stop crying,” I am surprised at my voice; it seems that my voice has become like an angels, soft and musical.

Soldier stands up, not realizing that I now stand beside him. Soldier stands up slowly, draws his sword and quickly swings the sword at me.

I react quickly, grabbing the blade of the sword and pulling it away from him. I throw the sword to the far end of the room. It lands on the floor near the stairs with a loud bang.

Soldier frowns, looking deep into my, now bright red, eyes. He recognizes me, but is still not convinced that it is me.

I look into his eyes. I turn to the radio. I change the song to “The Last Night”. I set the song on Repeat and turn back to Soldier.