Chapter 15

With our stomachs rumbling, we pressed on toward the Royal River. The reality of Ray Brower was growing..and kept us moving, despite the heat. For me, the idea of seeing that kid's dead body was starting to become an obsession.

Teddy's view

I glared holes into the back of Chris's head. Yeah, i liked Gabby, but i was still angry to see him holding hands with Ariana. I just...i can't choose. I still like Ariana, and when she showed me how to kiss, i think i ended up liking her more. Stupid. Stupid. Stupid. I need to stop. Ariana and Chris are together, and i still like Gabby. That's what i need to focus on.

"Isn't that the Royal,"Ariana asked, making us all stop and look where she was pointing. Well, don't you look at that.

Ariana's view

Out in front of us was a huge wheat field hill, with forest green tress behind it.

"Sure is,"Teddy said, stepping next to me. It was still awkward between us, but we talked. After all, we were best friends. And that's what we'll always be.

"We go across the field, we'll be there in an hour. Am i right, Ariana?"Chris said with his hands on his hips.

"Yeah. Follow the tracks, they go out the way so we're looking at about..4 hours? If so a little less. So i say the field."

"Cut across the field. Not walking anymore than i have to.."Teddy agreed.

"Yeah, i agree,"Gabby said, staring out at the field. Gordie agreed to, but Vern didn't.

"Field it is. Let's go, my men! Move out!"Teddy shouted, running down the hill pretending to shoot things with his bag. Gabby took off after him, then me and Chris, then Gordie, and then Vern who fell on his face at least twice once we reached the bottom. I met up with Gabby up at the bottom, Chris staying back to talk with the boys. I patted Spot's head, who was in her arms. Surprisingly, he's been very very quiet throughout this journey.

"So, you and Chris?"She smirked, wiggling her eyebrows. 

I giggled."Just friends."

She scoffed. "Friends with benefits?"

I pushed her playfully, gasping. "Ew! No!"

She laughed. "He so likes you."

I rolled my eyes, then thought back to when she kissed Teddy last night. "How was the kiss with Teddy?"

She looked over at me quickly, looked over her shoulder at him, then back at me. "Actually, i have to ask you something."

"Ok, what?"

She stayed silent for a few seconds. "Did you and Teddy kiss last night?"

I gasped. Oh no. Did Vern tell her? "Um, why?"

"I don't know. I was just wondering cause when i kissed him, i could smell and taste mint and..your the only one with mint gum.."

I swallowed, and decided not to tell her that Teddy liked her. It's friend code. You don't do that. "I gave him a piece, silly."

She smiled. "That's what i thought first, but i was just wondering."

I smiled back, then looked out ahead to see a big mud pit to the other side. Oh great.

"Oh, gross!"I gagged, turning around. Gabby went through it no problem, followed by Teddy, Gordie, and Vern. 

"Hold on, princess,"Chris said from behind me, and then i was picked up, making me squeak in fear. He smiled down at me and i giggled as he carried me across the mud.