Chapter 10

It was only 2:45, but it felt much later. It was too hot, and too much had happened. And we weren't even close to the Royal River yet..

Ariana's view

Gabriella was right. The next day, me and Chris felt fine. We both had our normal color skin back too. Mine didn't change much, but Chri's did. He had sun tanned skin, not dark, but darker than mine. I wasn't pale, but i wasn't tan. Weird.

"They're weird,"Gabriella giggled as Teddy and Chris danced off to the song "Lollipop".

"Yeah, they are,"I giggled back, watching them. They were weird, but that's what made them my best friends. Although me and Teddy act like we hate each other sometimes, i still love him with all my heart. Out of all the boys, he was the first one that i met, the first one that let me in. Before that, i was a loner with no friends. 

"You like Chris, don't you?"She asked, nudging my shoulder. I gasped with fake shock.

"Why would you think that?"I asked, smiling at her.

"You do! Huh, you two are cute. Let me see.."She said, placing her thumb under her chin, then she grinned, "Chriana!"

"Um, what?"I asked, arching an eyebrow.

"Chriana. Your ship-name,"She giggled. I brought my hand up to my forehead and shook my head.

"Your kidding me, right? He doesn't like me like that,"I giggled. She shrugged.

"You never know."

I smiled and we continued to walk. Vern and Gordie were behind us, playing with the Spot. I guess they found their new best friend. 

"Hey, um, when you said your father was trying to kill you yesterday..what did he do?"

She looked up at me for a second, then back down at her shoes as we walked down the tracks. "Well, he was drunk, like always. He was angry. My mother left us a while ago, then my brother died, and ever since then, he's hated me. So, i was in my room, and he came in with his beer bottle. I told him that he shouldn't be drinking and that he should leave. He didn't take it well. So he grabbed me, and pulled me downstairs. We have a fire pit, so he pulled me over to it. He tired putting my face in it. You see this scar?"

She rolled down her shirt collar, showing a huge burn mark, making me gasp. "That was from him. I hid it so when i went to school, no one would ask me about it."

"Oh my god, i am so sorry,"I frowned, placing my hand on her shoulder.

She shrugged. "Spot saved me. He bit my dad's ass, actually."

I giggled a little. "I think he deserves the dog of the year reward."

She smiled. "Me too."

I smiled, then looked up at Teddy. I wanted to tell her what his father did to him, but maybe i should leave that for him to say. Maybe he didn't want it to be aired out to everyone. It didn't take him long to tell me..mainly because i asked what was wrong with his ear. Whoops.

"Come on guys! By the time we get there the kid won't be dead anymore,"Teddy shouted back to us. I giggled, mainly because it didn't make any sense, but that was Teddy for ya. 

Gabriella's view

We started to walk faster, finally arriving at the wooded train tracks, the long train bridge ahead.

That's when i heard Ariana singing next to me. I didn't say anything..just listened.

"Everyday, it's a-gettin' closer. Goin' faster than a roller coaster. Love like yours will surely come my way. A-hey, a-hey hey. Everyday, it's a-gettin' faster. Everyone said, "Go ahead and ask her" Love like yours will surely come my way..."She stopped once we arrived at the bridge. 

"Your good,"I said to her. She looked over at me and smiled.

"When's the next train due?"Vern asked nervously, staring out in the distance.

"The other choice is the Route 136 bridge?"Chris suggested.

"That's pussy. And we'd have a longer ways to go. Might as well add ten more miles if we go over the River. We go across the tracks, we get there in less than 10 minutes,"Teddy pointed out. He had a point, but i didn't say anything..

"But what if a train comes, Teddy?There is nowheres else to go,"Ariana stated, placing her hands on her hips. 

"You jump, Ariana,"Teddy dragged out, as if she were stupid.

"It's a hundred feet drop, dumbass,"Ariana corrected him, stepping forwards a little. I stifled my laugh, looking away.

"Fine, but i'm going across the tracks. And while you guys are dragging your candy asses halfway across the state and back, i'll be waiting for you on the other side, relaxing with my thoughts,"He said, stepping towards the tracks.

"You use your left hand or right hand for that?"Ariana asked wisely, making Chris chuckle a little.

"You wish,"Teddy glared. Ariana rolled her eyes, following after Chris. I followed after her, but stayed back a little with Vern and Gordie. Spot was way up front. He was a dog, anyway. He could run faster than any of us. A puppy or not.

Everyone was silent for about 10 minutes, until we heard Gordie's dread cry.

"TRAIN!!!!!!"