Chapter 13

CHAPTER THIRTEEN

I couldn't exactly remember how I ended up beside Fred but I didn't care. I was smiling when I woke up and I didn't bring myself away from him. I felt good being close to him right here and right now. My clothes are still in the other room and I didn't feel like showering but to just enjoy this moment before I wouldn't be able to feel this anymore. Every part of my body is relatively anticipating with butterflies. 

Fred started to move a little and opened his eyes. He looked at me, right in front of him and he smiled. He kissed my forehead and with his morning breath he spoke, "Happy sweet sixteen, flower."

I nearly forgotten that it was my birthday. And it was also my sweet sixteen. I knew it wasn't going to be that grand as to what everyone says your sweet sixteen would be.

I smiled back at Fred and just stared at him. He gave me that stare again and I wasn't sure of what it meant again. I didn't want to make the wrong assumptions and make my hopes high and get my heart broken over and over again. 

I could not let that happen again. 

My expression was back to the face which showed fear. He quickly sat up, himself being shirtless. I suppose he opened his shirt without me realising because I was already asleep. His tan skin was showing and it made me yearn for him even more. 

Too good...too good for you.

"Come on, we have a sixteenth birthday to celebrate," and got up. He pulled out a hand for him to pull me up too. I lazily gave him my arm and he pulled me up, landing on his chest. I breathed in to his scent and blushed, hoping he wouldn't see that. He chuckled and I knew he was going to start teasing me. I braced myself for it but surprisingly he didn't. He looked down at me and nibbled his nose on mine. Our lips were so close, nearly touching, I could feel his breath on my lips, just waiting for the moment that it'll touch. I could feel the both of us syncronisingly getting closer until there were few knocks on the door with John shouting, 

"BREAKFAST IS READY, FRED!" I heard him walking to the room I was suppose to sleep at and did the same thing. I didn't think he realised I wasn't there. 

I started laughing and Fred laughed along too. We got out of that moment, which I yearned for it to happen again. It was almost, perfect. I went in my room and we showered before we went down to join John and his wife-to-be Sally. They made french toast with scrambled eggs. I looked at breakfast with wide eyes and my appetite took over me. I sat down and stuffed whatever I could into my mouth. Fred was laughing at me historically but I didn't care. This was so good. 

"Where do you two plan to go today?" John asked when I was finished with my food. I shook my head and lifted my shoulders up. Fred winked at me and spoke,

"It's a surprise," he smiled. 

John nodded his head and bent down to take something. When he was on the way to sit back straight, I saw him holding a wrapped box and he looked at me. 

"Happy sixteenth birthday, sis," and passed me the wrapped box. I gasped and look at him in disbelief. After all the years, he still remembered my birthday. Why didn't he try to say something all these years? Why did he wait? Why didn't he even try to talk to me when he wasn't really annoyed?

"Open it," he whispered. I gave him one last glance and looked down to the box. I run my palm along the sides of the box and feel my brother's careful hands wrapping this. I finally tore out each cello tape carefully and unwrapped it with full patience. By the time I did, I found myself looking at a plain box. There was a small card and I opened it. 

I'm sorry I never tried. Happy birthday, Myra :) -John-

I teared up and opened the cover of the box. I took out the gift that was wrapped in thick bubble wrap I couldn't even see what it was. I took out the bubble wrap and there it was. A vintage photo frame with a picture of everyone. My family. My whole. Mum and Dad were sitting on the chairs and John and I beside them standing. I looked at how young I was when we took this picture. I was only, I think, three and John was sixteen.