Part 14

They had Potions with the Slytherins. "Ah, so this is the new student! Welcome, Miss Porter! I hope that you'll do great in my class", Slughorn greeted her. Sarah just smiled politely and cringed on the inside. "He hasn't changed a bit", she thought inwardly. "Well, since everyone has already a partner, you can pair up with Severus here in the front", the professor said. James and Sirius threw her a pitiful look and James whispered to her: "Beware of Snivellius. He's dangerous!" "And greasy", Sirius added and snickered. Remus threw them an experasted look. "Don't worry, Sarah. He's really good in Potion", he said and smiled at her kindly. The two boys protested immediately but Sarah just smiled and said: "I think I'll manage him when I can deal with you two!" Remus laughed at her response. "Hey", Sirius and James protested loudly, "we're not that bad!" Sarah smiled as a response and went to the front desk where her former professor sat. Snape - no Severus now (Snape would have killed her in her time if she would address him with his front name)- frowned at her and barked: "Just let me do the work like you Gryffindors always do. I do not need you to ruin my grade in Potion." "I see that he hasn't changed a bit", Sarah thought and grimaced slightly. "Hello, my name is Sarah", she then smiled and offered him her hand. Snape looked at her with distrust and at her hand like it was infected with disease. "Severus", he said curtly and shook lightly her hand and immediately let go. It was plainly for Sarah to see that Snape didn't trust her and hated her.
"Well, today we will be making the Draught of the Living Dead", Slughorn said and shook Sarah out of her musings. Before Snape could say anything, Sarah got up and went to retrieve the needed supplies. She would show Snape that she wasn't bad at Potion. After all she had her mother's talent!
"Don't be too friendly to Snivellius", a voice whispered into her ear. Sarah just rolled her eyes and turned to James: "Don't be ridiculous, James!" and continued to go to her place with the retrieved things in her arm. Snape looked up and it was the first time he looked at her with something like curiousity and not with hate. "Don't interfere with my work!", he snapped at her. "And he's back", Sarah thought grimly. She looked at him as he was still trying to cut the beans. "Mhm, seems like the Half Blood Prince doesn't know about crushing them yet", she mused. "Have you ever thought of crushing the beans instead of cutting? It is much more effective and more juice would be coming out", she then said to Snape. He looked at her, shocked that he didn't think of it. In his eyes there were something likr respect for her. Wordlessly, he gave her the beans and said: "Show me how you do it." It was more an order than a request, however Sarah could hear the underlying tone of curiousity of him wanting to learn more. After that Snape also let her do some parts. They created the "perfect" Draught of the Living Dead. Slughorn was euphoric. "Hopefully you let Miss Porter also do something, Mr Snape", the professor said. "Actually, she did half of the work", he answered. The class gasped for it was common knowledge that Snape didn't usually let others work with him. "Well then, it seems like we have another talent here in class", Slughorn joyfully said. "Hopefully, he doesn't invite me to his club", Sarah thought. "Well, put your finished draught on my desk and I'll give a grade on it. Until next time then!", Slughorn dismissed the class.
"How did you bully Snivellius into making the draught for you?", Sirius groaned to Sarah as they were stepping out of the classroom. "Why Sirius? Can't believe that I am good in Potion?", Sarah asked feeling angry, "and to your information I didn't bully him but was actually nice to him, so he let me do some parts." "No, no, I didn't mean it like that", Sirius backtrapped, "I..." "He was asking how you could work together with Snape since he isn't exactly known for sharing work", Remus said. "Right", Sirius cried, "Moony just understands me best", and put a arm around Remus' shoulder. He shrugged it off again but Sirius didn't seem phased. "Like I said, I was nice to him. What do we have next?", she changed the topic not wanting to fight about Snape anymore. "DADA", James said while walking next to her.