Chapter 29

“Ouch.” Mac says, she tries the key again before collapsing on the porch, leaning against the wall. She knocks against the door, hoping somebody will unlock it for her.

“You look like shit.” Ron says opening the door.

“Oh brother, aren’t you so kind.” Mac says. She tries to stand but stumbles back, Ron grabbing her waist just in time.

“Did you drink the bar dry? Ron asks, helping her inside.

“No, just the vodka.” Mac says leaning her head on Ron’s shoulder.

“Why didn’t you just teleport to your bed?” Ron asks.

“I tried and I thought I was heading there but I ended up in the lake.” Mac says. “I don’t know how, I didn’t think I was thinking of it.”

“That would explain why your shoes are muddy.” Ron says, he looks behind to see a trail of mud.

“Need help?” Walter asks looking up from the couch he was lying on.

“What so I can hold up two drunks? No thanks.” Ron says placing Mac on the seat next to Walter.

“Walter.” Mac says, leaping towards him for a hug. “I’m cold.” She says nuzzling her head into his neck.

“You don’t get cold.” Walter says but places his arm around her shoulder bringing her closer.

“But I am.” Mac says.

“She is probably just sobering up. The walk here from the lake probably took her an hour.” Ron says.

“Why were you at the lake?” Walter asks.

“I don’t know, my power just took me there.” Mac says.

“Your powers have been very strange lately.” Walter says. “I wonder why you can’t control them anymore.”

“I can, most of the time.” Mac says with a yawn, she grabs the closes blanket throwing it over herself.

“Sure you can.” Walter says. “Where is the wine?”  He reaches his arm out towards the table but Ron grabs the bottle before Walter can.

“No more wine.” Ron says placing it on a table out of Walters reach.

“Rude.” Walter says.

“Where is Brett?” Gage asks coming down the stairs.

“Brett?” Ron asks.

“Yes, the Alpha of this pack.” Gage says.

“What?” Walter asks. Mac makes a grumbling noise, hoping they would quiet down and let her sleep.

“Alpha Brett I need to talk to him so he can explain why I am here.” Gage says.

“Alpha Brett died forever ago.” Ethan says yawning. “What’s with all the noise?” He stretches, trying to get out of a daze from his nap.

“Then who is the Alpha of this pack?” Gage says.

“You are.” Ron says trying to block Walter and Mac from Gage’s view.

“I think I would know if I was the Alpha of a pack of three hundred.” Gage says.

“What is the last thing you remember?” Walter asks turning on his side to face Gage.

“Sandy’s 20th half birthday was last night.” Gage says. “And this morning I woke up here, although I remember crashing at Sandy’s house last night.”

“Did Sandy say anything to you?” Ron asks.

“No I woke up to see her passed out in a chair with a bruise on her head. Did you guys do that to her. I swear if Alpha Brett told you to do that there will be war.” Gage says.