Giving In

Chat Noir

I held her tight against my chest and tried to calm her down.

Marinette's breathing was so heavy, and I could feel her sweating.

She was burning up and probably had a fever, but I just held her.

"It was still me," she whispered against my chest, making me wince and shake my head.

"It wasn't you," I assured her.

"Maybe, but it was still done by the hands you've held and the heart you hold close to your own," she argued, pushing herself back and looking at me with bloodshot eyes.

"That may be true, " I started, "but it doesn't change the fact that I've forgiven you."

She shook her head, " Why forgive me? Because you have to?"

"Of course not. I forgive you because I know it wasn't something you'd do. That's why I'm convinced something happened in your mind that made you do what you did," I said, feeling her tremble as I held her arms.

"You don't know me that well Chat; I'm not one to just snap," she said.

"That's why I feel like something happened to you that you don't remember. Just think about it, you didn't remember The Mercenary, why would you remember something that may have hurt and changed you?" I asked, watching her expression go from blank to curious.

"I don't know, that seems pretty unlikely," she said, backing away from my arms.

I shook my head, so tired and just wanted things to be okay and how they used to be.

"Speak to your Kwami about this, I've told you all I can and how I feel," I finally said, checking my miraculous to see that I had 15 minutes left.

"I will, I'm sorry that you've been dragged into this," she said, her face pale from crying, bleeding, and everything else that had happened only minutes ago.

"It's my business too, we are partners after all," I said with a small and soft smile.

"Yeah," she said, her voice low and scratchy.

I opened up my arms for her, but she just turned and looked at the night sky.

I sighed and dropped my arms.

I walked beside her and put my hands on the railing of Marinette's balcony.

We didn't speak for what felt like forever, but I would wait that long if I had to.

I looked at her, and she finally looked back at me, our faces far apart but I wanted to kiss her.

"I hope you understand that I do love you," I said to break the silence.

She nodded and looked away from me, making my heart flinch.

I didn't want her to hurt anymore, I just wanted things to be okay.

"I know you love me," she said, making me jump a little.

"I just don't know if I can handle that after all of this. Chat, if I lost you-"

"You won't. I would never leave you Princess," I interrupted, making her eyes turn glassy.

"If I did something to hurt you, I'd never forgive myself. You have to realize that I'm so terrified to be next to you right now," she said, taking a step to the side to get a little farther away from me.

"You won't hurt me. I trust you more than anything," I argued, standing up straight and reaching for her.

"Just...please go Chat. I can't handle being with you right now," she asked, making me sigh and my heart break.

"Okay, but I'll be back here tomorrow," I said, pulling out my staff and looked at her one last time.

This time, she opened her arms, and I hugged her so tightly I could feel her heartbeat.

I held her for a while and kissed her forehead before taking off with tears threatening to fall down my face the whole way home.