Thirty-Four

The next evening comes unexpectedly fast and I find myself in my bedroom already panicking

It finally hits me entirely that Harry is really coming to pick me up. And he's going to be here in less than an hour.

I don't know, I guess maybe I'm still in disbelief that we're even talking and having a thing. I still think it's crazy. 

There's been a routine the past couple of days, I noticed, where Harry would always show up at my locker in the mornings just to talk to me. And we would always talk in the one class we have together.

And now he's coming to pick me up and I'm going to be in his car. Wow.

Harry texts my phone minutes later, and I look at myself one last time in the mirror, before I tell my mom I'm leaving and I head out the front door.

I'm glad I had pulled on a North Face jacket, because it's colder outside than it was last night.

There's a car parked in my driveway, and its windows are tinted so dark I can't see who's inside, but I know it's Harry, since he'd texted me that he was right outside. His car is also dark, almost black as the night.

I walk towards the front passenger seat, and as I get closer, I make out Harry's figure through the glass. He's waving at me. I smile at him and I look down at my feet. My stomach is in a twist.

My hand manages to pull the car door open and Harry's the first thing I see. He has a smile on his lips and his hand is on the steering wheel.

"Hey." He says, and his raspy low voice transmits into my ears.

He's wearing a long grey sweater and his curls are almost gone as his brown hair is styled up. He got a haircut. He definitely did, there are barely any curls left. I don't know how I feel about that. I loved his fluffy curls.

"Hi." I say as I jump in the car and close the door. "You got a haircut." I state the obvious, but it's the only thing I know to say at the moment. Harry gives me a closed smile and nods his head slowly.

"You noticed?" He sounds disappointed. "I told the hairdresser not to cut too much off."

"Yeah, it's not bad though. I liked when your hair was longer, but it's okay." I admit, and Harry's still looking at me, his emotion dropping just a little bit. I didn't think my comment would affect him so much, so I sit there and regret I even said anything.

"You don't like it?" He asks, and I widen my eyes quickly and shake my head.

"No, that's not what I meant. I like your hair now, but it looked good before too—"

"Kaya," He stops me and he's chuckling. "I was just teasing you. By the way, you look great." He says, and my heart wants to fly out of my chest.

"Thanks." I reply, my voice barely there, and Harry grins. He turns back to the steering wheel and pulls the car into reverse.