Twelve

The voice calms me, making me lose my worries of being busted by a teacher

Because that voice isn't some teacher who's about to catch me. It's Niall, someone better than a teacher, but still a bad thing. I remain sitting where I am, and I watch as the blond boy in his blue hoodie walk towards me. Worry spreads across his pale face.

"Why're you sitting—" He's asking, but I speak up, not letting him finish his question. Because for God's sake, we all know what he's about to ask.

"How did you know I was back here?" I inquire.

The left side of his mouth raise in a smirk and he reaches in his pocket to take out his phone. He unlocks it and shows me his screen that's displaying his Instagram feed. My photo is the first one in the order— the photo I took of the ground with my boots just a few minutes ago.

"I was looking through my feed at lunch and saw your post." He says. "I knew you were at school, where else would you have taken this?"

I frown, looking down again and burying my face in my legs. "Okay, Horan." I mutter. He got me. I'm at fault for posting that.

"I'm really not in the mood to talk to anyone right now." I say and hope that he gets my hint for him to go away.

A few seconds pass and during that time, I hear leaves crackling near me. He's getting closer. "What's wrong?" I hear him ask.

I cough into my shoulder to clear my throat. "Does it matter?" I raise my head and look at him. He bends down in front of me, squinting his eyes as if he's trying to get a better look at my face.

"You're crying," He whispers. "What happened?"

I bite my bottom lip hard, trying to control my emotions. But when he's suddenly asking me about it, everything comes back and I can't stop myself from thinking about Harry. My cheeks feel cold as the wind hits my face, because now there are tears there and the cold breeze doesn't help it any better.

Niall surprises me when he sits right beside me on the grass. We're so close now that our sides are touching. Everything inside me is hurting, and because of that, I let Niall sit there. Usually I'd push him away, but this time I don't.

"I'm not leaving until you tell me." He says. In the corner of my left eye, I can see him folding his legs towards his chest just like me.

"It's nothing." I mumble. I take a dead leaf from the ground and crumble it with my hand. "It's not like somebody crushed my heart like this stupid leaf." I open my hand so the little pieces fall to the grass.

Niall scoffs, watching the pieces that are now scattered. "Oh, so that's what happened."

My eyes droop to the ground and I puff my cheeks. Niall pokes them and it makes me sigh out the air.

"You told Harry, huh?" He asks. "And he rejected you... am I right?"

I nod to confirm his question.