Twenty-Six

The kiss isn't that long, but it feels that way

The kiss isn't that long, but it feels that way. It feels like half an hour long, but it's literally only a minute. Or less than that. I don't know, right now, I can't even think straight.

We just kissed again. Niall and I just kissed again.

And he's the one who pulls back. He's looking at me with no emotion now and I'm panicking on the inside, not knowing how to react. He doesn't look like he's going to run away like before. He keeps still with his face close, his hand now pulled away.

A grin appears on his lips next though, and he closes his eyes as he silently chuckles. He opens them and looks at me again. "I guess you're right. I am drunk." He says, shaking his head really fast.

I'm pretty sure I'm blushing. Niall doesn't notice so I'm glad.

"Idiot." I can barely speak. "Of course you are." I look away, facing the ocean because I'm afraid of what will happen next.

Plus, I'm totally a tomato right now. I should be mad, but for some reason, I'm not. I'm just nervous. And I don't want Niall to know that. He can't know that this kiss just affected me in the strangest way possible. He probably thinks I'm mad and I hope that he'll keep thinking that.

I want to stand up and run. Run back to my cabin and hide under the covers like a little five year old.

Of course, with him being so drunk, he probably doesn't think much of this right now. He probably won't even remember it in the morning. I almost forget about that possibility. He's drunk.

This was never supposed to happen. I'm sure if he was himself—without the alcohol that affected him—he wouldn't have done what he just did.

And that's how it got awkward. No one talks and we just sit there, acting like we aren't even there. As if the other person is just thin air.

Niall coughs to clear his throat, but I can tell it's a fake one, just to break the long silence. Well, try to anyway. My eyes kind of wander back to him, and he looks at me too, making us have an awkward eye contact.

He takes a big swallow and I watch as his Adam's apple moves while he does so. "Uh, I'm tired, I'm gonna—" He's saying, while making a move of standing up and I do too.

"Yeah, me too. I think I'm just gonna go back now." I stutter and mumble all of those bits. Niall nods and smiles nervously.

"Okay, um, I'll see you later then."

I pretend to be dusting off my pants while I wait for him to gather his bags and cans of beer.

When I know he's ready to walk away, I look at him again and give him a small nervous smile back. I start to walk away towards the direction of my cabin.

I'm not going to lie, but as I walk on, I keep catching glances of him and I'm sure he is of me too, because when I do look at him, he's looking at me.