The day I met Josh~ BOOK ONE: THE BEING IN LOVE SPIRAL

It's 6:00 at night. My stupid alcoholic mother is making me go to a party for a kid I don't even know. Though I'm positive it's just because she needs someone to watch me while she gets wasted.
We pull up to a big white house on corner of the street, ruffled navy blue shades hung in the windows. A wide, narrow porch stretched all the way around the house. Since the sky was gray, dimmed lights were turned on, on both sides of the white French door.
"I'll text you when I'm on my way back," said my mom, brushing the blonde hair out of her face, revealing a scowl. She barely ever looked at me when she talked to me, and I hated the fact that, since I was her son, I had the same blonde hair and pale skin. I'd inherited my light blue eyes from my dad though.
"Why do I even have to go to this party?" I asked again, not expecting an answer.
"Because Dylan, I told you. We just moved here, and you need to make friends so you're not alone this summer," she said this like she was explaining it to a four year old. I grunted and heaved the door open.
"Bye," I muttered under my breath as she drove away a little faster than she should have. I sighed and turned towards the big house. All of the sudden I got this weird feeling in my stomach, like something, or some force was trying to get me to walk toward it. I ignored it and started my way up the driveway. I was about to knock on the door when it suddenly opened. A boy about my age with dark skin, spiked black hair, and dark eyes was holding the door open.
"Hey, I'm Colin, you here for Tyler's party?" He asked.
"Yeah I guess," I shrugged, "My mom said she knows his mom... Cari?" I continued. He nodded and smiled, then he gestured for me to come in.
"If theres anything you need, just tell me," he said, then he turned back to another boy and started talking like I assumed he was before he opened the door.
I looked around. There were kids everywere. Probably from the ages of fourteen to eighteen. Right now I was in a kitchen, so I slowly walked forward, weaving between people, through the dining room, to the right, and through an open door that lead down some stairs. When I got to the bottom, it was just as packed. Only this time it was louder. Giant black speakers stood beside a big flatscreen T.V., making it that much louder. I sqeezed up against the wall so I could get through people. It was crowded and I could barely get through, and as I saw an opening so I crammed myself between two(insanely hot) girls. Once I was through I fell flat on my face. I heard them giggle. I growled and got up, I was infront of an old, brown door. It sounded pretty quiet behind it, so I twisted the handle. I quickly stepped inside and shut the door behind me.
"Hey," said a voice, "I'm Josh." I must have jumped two feet in the air. "Oh... Sorry, did I scare you?" he asked getting up off the bed where he was sitting.
"Yeah a little bit!" I said as he came over to me, I grabbed his outstreched hand. When I finally stood up, I looked at his face. Woah... he's...
"Again, I'm sorry." He smiled, "So what's your name?" he asked, then he looked down. I had forgotten to let go of his hand when I stood up. I quickly dropped it.
"Um, Dylan," I said akwardly. Something about him made me feel funny. His long brown hair hung over his forehead, and light, muddy brown eyes looked warmly at me. He had light skin, but not at all pasty.
"Cool," he turned and went back to the bed, picking up a notebook, he began writing.
"What's that?" I asked, going over and sitting next to him.
"My notebook... well I guess you can call it a diary," he chuckled, and grinned, making the hair on my arms stand up, "I write everything that happens to me, like if anything interesting happens, I'll be able to tell anyone I want in full detail," he said, still smiling. I pulled my sleeves down, so he couldnt see the goosebumps on my arms. I scanned any possible responses in my head.
"That's... interesting." I nearly punched myself in the face... interesting?! What was wrong with me?!
"Okay, okay, laugh if you want."
"No! Thats not... I mean... Well..." I kinda want to crawl under a rock and die right now...
"Wow," he chuckled again, "are you okay?" I couldnt answer. Because, truth be told, I had butterflies in my stomach right now, and the last time I checked, I wasnt gay! I just tried to push the thought aside, but him staring at me was not helping.
"Yeah, I'm fine," I  lied, "so are you enjoying the party?" I tried to make up small talk so he wouldnt notice my absentmindedness. It worked.
"Not really," he shrugged, "I mean I've been to worse, but I hardly know anyone here," he said frowning.
"Oh, me too. Me, my brother, and my mom just moved here," I said, glad to be off the more touchy subjects.
"Oh really? From where?" He closed his notebook and turned torwards me, starting to smile again.
"We moved here from Seattle yesterday," I said.
"Whoa... Seattle? Thats really far! I bet it wasnt an easy transition," he murmered.
"Well, actually it was very easy. I've lived in Michigan before, so basically all my friends are here," but my mom doesnt know that, and I dont want her too. She never liked my friends, and if she found out that they were still here too... she'd throw a fit.
"Oh lucky! I just moved up here from Georgia, it wasnt easy though. I had to leave my best friend Sean," he said sadly.
"I'm sorry," I said, and I truly meant it.
"It's ok, at least I'm making new friends," he smiled at me. I felt the hair on my arms go up again. I gulped quickly.
"Hehe, yeah," I agreed.
I looked around the room, the walls were painted white, and the only light was coming from two different lamps on two bedside tables. They were each square and made of paper, it had almost a japanese look to it. Sweet. Well there was also another flatscreen in here, but it wasnt on. There really was nothing in here other than the bed, the lamps, and the T.V....
"So tell me about your brother," he said.
"My brother?"
"Yeah," he wrote something down in his notebook quickly, then looked up again.
"Oh, Cole," I said getting a grip on myself again. His smile had me as mushy as a seventeen year old girl in a PG-13 romance movie, for gods sakes! "Um, well actually..." I saw a good way to get out of this stupid stage I was going through, a way to make up another converstation, "actually he's my twin." I grinned. His face immediately lit up and I grinned again.
"A twin?! Are you identical or faternal?" he asked, his face becoming serious for the slightest fraction of a second.
"Identical," I said quickly," but now we're starting to look different. He's taller, and his hair curves out, mine doesnt, and I'm chubbier!" I said sarcastically.
"Ohhh, your not chubby," he said laughing.
"I am compared to him, and he's quieter than me, but he's also more serious," I continued.
"Oh and your not serious?" Josh asked, obviously he was enjoying this. So was I actually.
"I am, just not as much as him," I shrugged and said ,"Mr.Cool," I rolled my eyes and we both laughed together.
We talked for a good solid couple hours, until I felt my phone vibrate in my pocket. I opened it and it was a text, but not from my mom. My ex-girlfriend Jessica. Great. I'll read it later. I exited out of my inbox and I saw the time. 9:30, where was she? Wait... how come Josh's parents hadnt picked HIM up yet?
"Hold on," I held my finger up to him before he continued his story about the time he had a food fight at his school.
"Whats wrong?" He stood up as I did. I ignored him and cracked the door open a bit. I hadnt even noticed the music die down. I peeked through the opening. Only about six or seven kids were here. Wow, with all the people gone, you could really see how big of a basement it was. A big pool table was in the very middle, and four boys were all playing. Two girls were giggling watching them, well mostly just watching their muscles flex every time one of them pulled the stick back. I rolled my eyes and shut the door.
"This party went by FAST," I said,"Why havent your parents picked you up yet?" I asked, my eyebrows pulling together.
"Well... I was planning on walking home..." I could tell he was lying, but I went along with it anyway.
"Oh, how far away to you live?" I questioned him. I wasnt about to let himself walk home alone.
"About four blocks away, you?" He looked up, the emotion in his eyes gone completely. He was a good liar.
"I live about four blocks away too..." I said relieved but still confused.
It turns out he only lived five minutes away from me. I texted my mom asking where she was, but after twenty minutes I decided I wasnt going to get a reply, so I suggested we walk home together. He reluctantly agreed, and we went upstairs.
"Hey," said Colin. He was cleaning empty plastic cups from the table, and putting them into a trashbag.
"Hey, where is everyone?" Asked Josh.
"They're all outside, if i wouldve known that you guys were downstairs i wouldve told you about the bonfire," he gestured to the open screen door, "You can have some smores if you want, i think theyre still making them."
Josh and I both looked at eachother and shrugged.
"Nah." We both said at the same time. Colin chuckled.
"Okay but your missing out," he went back to cleaning cups as Josh and I walked out the door and into the cool night air. The dark sky was almost completely black, so the only light was coming from the street lamps.
"Do you have a phone?" I asked once we got to the end of the street. He just shrugged.
"Nope, I guess  I've never needed one..." he trailed off.
"Why not? Every sixteen year old needs a cell," I said, though the main reason was because I wanted to keep in touch with him...
"Yeah I guess so, but I do have a house phone... oh, and I'm seventeen" he looked up and smiled that beautiful smile. Its like he knew what he did to me and he was teasing me... but that was impossible... if I didnt know why I felt this way... then he couldnt either... My thoughts were interupted when he stopped abrutbly. I hadnt realized we'd been walking for twenty minutes until I flipped open my phone to check for messages from my mom saying she was late and that she was sorry. None. Just the one from Jessica that I refused to open until I was alone.
"This is were I live," he said pointing to an average size house. It was painted baige and it had a high, two story roof.
"Hmmm," I murmered. I didnt want to leave him yet, and that scared me, so I knew I had to.
"Can I have your number?" I asked, hoping that I wasnt sounding to pushy.
"Sure," he pulled a marker out of his pocket. He reached out and grabbed my hand, he stretched out my arm and starting writing his number down. Oh god, his touch raised goosebumps on my arm, hopefully he would be finished before he noticed. My eyes glanced up to his face. Beautiful, his cream skin was glowing in the streetlamps...
He put the marker cap back on. "So... I guess I'll see 'ya later..." he said kindly.
"Yeah... See ya..." I tried to say more, but my voice betrayed me and nothing came out. I cleared my throat. "So I'll call ya tomorrow, we could go to the park or something," was my genious idea.
"'Kay," he said then he turned around and started walking up the driveway, his hands in his pockets and his journal tucked under his arm. I wondered why he hadnt just ripped out a page and wrote his number on that... I watched him turn around before reaching for the handle. He smiled and waved over his shoulder before he stepped inside.
I breathed a big gust of air.
"Woah..." I said under my breath as I started my way home. I dreaded reading the message I got from Jessica, so I flipped my phone open, and deleted my 'inbox.'