Starr Academy: Year Three- Chapter 20

Twenty

I giggled as I watched my brother wrestled Franklin's father in the sand. We had decided to have some fun along the strip at the ocean front. To everyone else, they just call this Virginia Beach. But to the locals, that was what this place was called.

Franklin had his chance to match his father, but passed as he wanted to go get something sweet. He'd offer me to join them, but I had passed it up. I wanted to see this show for myself. To see my big brother and Franklin's father fight it out. I knew they were hiding what they were doing, using some magic against the other. The show was quite entertaining.

A pretzel dangled in front of my face. "So how's the show going."

"I think your father's winning." Taking the pretzel and taking a bite.

Franklin chuckled. "Of course he is. My dad is the best at wrestling with another like us. How else can he be what he is?"

I smiled eating my pretzel. Franklin's father was sort of like a parol officer for those with magic. For years both Franklin and I had thought his dad was just a paper pusher in the legal office. That was his official cover for those who didn't know any different.

But we now know the truth. His father was a great man who tracks those who had done something against a 'normal' person. He visits them and even sees them at him with their family or if they live alone. He was kind and caring to even those he's charged with looking after. He was a Overseer as his rightful title among our people.

Right now he was overseeing the humiliation of my brother's ego in this wrestling match. And what a grand display it was. Who know Greg was so strong and talented? He was schooling my brother and it was beyond awesome!

Suddenly I got a cold chill over my whole body. As if the air pressure changed and the temperature dropped. Glancing around, I didn't see anything at all. Not even a shadow caused by a cloud above me. Odd.

Then the whole world around me turned dark. Saturated with blue. As if all warmth was taken out of the world. As I looked around, I also noticed everyone was just gone. I was alone in this dark world.

Then there was someone. Rising quickly, I went toward them. Their back was to me as they were walking away from me. As I drew closer to them, my heart picked up recognizing Melerick.

I was dreaming.

But if this was a dream, why weren't we in the garden? Why was he walking away from me?

I rose and started to jog over to my ancestor. He nether paused nor glanced my way. It was as if I didn't exist to him. Every step to him, the world darkened a bit more. The blue now turning a light midnight color as the darkness fell over everything.

Reaching my hand out, I touched his shoulder. We both stopped. I was the one a bit out of breathe, but that was to be understandable. was the only one rushing somewhere.

But the person that turned wasn't Melerick. I covered a hand over my mouth against the gasp that stayed inside. The man wasn't one man. His face flashed between several. Melerick was one face, but there was also Greg, Marek, Rod, Zander, and oddly enough, my very one father. All of them just staring at me as if they were trying to figure out what I was.

Then he jolted. Each face showing shock and confusion. As he looked down, I did too. That's when I saw the blade. Thin and shiny sticking out of his chest. Blood spread out.

My hand over my mouth was the only thing that stifled the scream from my chest. Everything grew cold as if the heat in all the world were fading as he was fading. My body sank down to the ground as he slumped to the ground after the blade retracted.