Starr Academy: Year Three- Chapter 2

Two

    I sat with Franklin in the seats reserved for my big brother’s family. Derek was MIA again which was no surprise. Mom had to work, that was no surprise either. Greg and Debbie would have been here too had there not been an emergency at their work. Roderick understood completely as he had just arrived at their house when the call reached them. At least he had us to take up the honor of being his family.

    My finger traced my brother’s name seeing he was salutatorian for his class. Not the highest of spots, but he was number two. He had showed me his GPA and I was extremely proud of him. He had a 3.9 which was near perfect. The only reason he wasn’t the valedictorian was because someone had a perfect 4.0.

    Rod had pointed out the valedictorian and I giggled. I wasn’t one of those to judge anyone, but the guy was a total nerd. He was short at about four foot three. Heavy, thick glasses rested on his tiny button nose. His body was the thinest and weakest that I ever saw. Thinner than I had ever been growing up. I would be surprised that he never got dunked for how he look because some people could be just that cruel to others, I should know.

    Pride welling up thick in my heart for my big brother. He had done it. He was graduating from high school with a great honor and I was sitting here for him. We had grown so close together since last year and I was so happy for that. Soon he was about to find out about how much bigger his world was. I was giddy for that moment.

    My brother told me that at sometime during the summer the advisor would be talking to him more in depth about the special program. I asked if he had contacted her about being in Hawaii. He had. One of the first things he had done was get on his computer and send her an email about it. She had told him to enjoy himself and she’ll be speaking with him most likely later in the summer about the program. I knew what she was going to tell him and I was even more giddy having him in the know.

    The principle came out and smiled at the audience. “Welcome family members for all our graduating class. I’m delighted you all could take time out of your busy schedules. I know you all are proud of each and every one of these students for accomplishing this stage in their life.”

~~~

    Running up to my brother, he caught me just in time as I threw myself at him. “You did it. It’s official. You have a future!”

    He laughed and twirled me around. “That I do thanks to you.”

    Franklin groaned. “Not you too with the whole rhyming thing. What? Is that some Lund thing?”

    Rod smirked as he set me down and looked at me. “I thought I was the only one that liked to rhyme.” He chuckled. “Maybe we’ll learn more in time.”

    Franklin threw his hands up in the air. “I give up.”

    I giggled as I rushed over to him and jumped on his back when he had turned away. “Wha’cha going to do brother from another mother? Cover your ears when we rhyme!”

    He laughed as he held me to his back turning back to my brother. “Maybe I just might.”

    Rod smiled as he watched us interact. He had the look of someone who was happy to see me smile and play around with Franklin like I do. That he was seeing even more of me than he has. The way I am when I’m being playful with a friend.

    After Franklin and I stopped playing around, the three of us heading to a restaurant as Franklin and I wanted to treat Rod with a celebratory lunch. We just wanted to show my big brother how proud we were of him. I think I was the proudest because he’s my big brother and he was one of the two at the top of his class.

    The whole meal went fine till someone we didn’t want to see showed up. Our mother with her ‘boyfriend’. I guess they were having a romantic lunch. Nice to know she had time for someone. I only wished it was for her eldest child who graduated from high school today.