Starr Academy: Year Three- Chapter 13

Thirteen

The next morning at breakfast, I saw Shawn pouting in his seat. Franklin sat across from him frowning at my counterpart. When both looked at me, their low expressions shifted slightly to more delighted ones.

"What was with the gloomy faces before?"

Shawn shrugged as Franklin spoke up. "He thinks its a little unfair the punishment he got for decking your brother."

"What did he get?"

Franklin turned his sight on Shawn as he's frown was back. "Detention for two weeks and he can't compete in the battles for the next two weeks."

I frowned at Shawn. "Sorry."

He shook his head smiling at me. "It was kind of worth it when I remember how it felt hitting your brother." He shrugged. "And I was given a strong warning about hitting another guest within the school no matter how right I was."

I gave him a lopsided smile as I felt the soft caress of a note. Turning, I found a letter from my big brother resting on my plate. A sense of glee spread through me as I lifted it up. A giggle crept out when I saw that Rod had learned more magic as there were winking stars all over the front along with several that fell off and fizzled out.

Franklin laughed. "Rod is having a bit too much fun!"

Everyone else chuckled and/or giggled as I opened up the envelop withdrawing the letter inside. I loved whenever Rod had a chance to sent me a letter telling me how he was doing. Right now he was able to as none of his classes are very involved yet except for his introductory to the magical world. That course had two parts and both were supposed to be fast paced in order to caught those students up.

Hey little sister,

Heard about what happened last night. Wanted to see how you were doing? And if that new counterpart of yours is fairing too. How back did the blockhead of a brother hurt his hand?

I giggled at what Rod called Derek before I went on. It made me feel better hearing how much my big brother was there for me. How he knew I liked hearing from him and that h likes hearing from me. We were so much more open with one another.

Mom had called me last night at ten screeching about you and your counterpart. I couldn't believe how she was talking about you. I never knew she thought of you that way. YOU'RE HER DAUGHTER! How could a mother ever be so cruel speaking about their daughter to someone else even another child?

Again I want to say I'm so sorry for everything I ever did to you growing up. Hearing all that our mother said last night drove home more how much you were tortured by us unnecessarily. I know we're just now starting the relationship we should have always had, but I still feel horrible that it took this long for my eyes to be opened. It should never have been that long.

I frowned but knew it'd be a little longer before we were past him needed for me to say that I forgave him. After this summer, I knew that forgiving him was what he needed to stay on the right path that he was on before he was ready to stand on his own. I was just happy to tell him as many times as he needed.

In the end, I had a big fight over the phone with our mom because she was blaming you. I'm not happy about what I said to her, but I couldn't stand here and just let her say those things about you that I know now are total garbage. I even hung up on her when she wouldn't listen. It doesn't matter if she stops talking to me right now. I just care about how we do for now. Maybe in time our mom will come around, but she can be more stubborn than both of us put together.

I smiled at that because he was right. Our mother was sometimes too thickheaded just as much as Derek was. When either feels they are right, they won't listen to anyone else at all. Even if that someone else was giving them proof that they were wrong, they'd just stand their ground and not give up an inch.