Starr Academy: Year Three- Chapter 9

Nine

    I pouted at Headmistress Alexi. “Do I have to? It’s not like I need someone to be my counterpart for this year.”

    She frowned at me as she laid her tiny plant scissors down on the table with the bonsai tree she had been grooming and came over to me. “I know you have reservations about having another young man be your escort, but it’s a school rule. I cannot change it if I could for you. Please don’t give up on having a counterpart just yet. One more year and you won’t have to worry about such things anymore.”

    I sighed and she placed a hand on my shoulder. “Just see if you place with another.” Resigning, I nodded and she gave my shoulder a light squeeze. “Thank you Hope.”

    She smiled now. “My husband is out in the garden.” Her hand moved to my cheek. “He paints next to the weeping willow.”

    I smiled at her. “His favorite place as well as mine.”

    A laughed bubbled out of her. “Enjoy the rest of the day Hope.” Headmistress Alexi turned back to her bonsai and continued her work.

    Detouring to my room, I grabbed one of Melerick’s personal journals and my own fresh journal that I had purchased just for the creation of my Phoenix. Gilliett had wondered if I would create a book detailing the experience and the knowledge I gain from it. It was a very nice idea and I was thinking about it.

    A smile lit my face seeing Theo painting a portrait of one of the later summer blooming flowers. The flower had a pinky-purple haze around the vibrantly orange with a canary yellow outline of the pedals. I knew that Theo had the ability to see the auras because of his advanced elements.

    Theo looked up at me and smiled back. He set down his pallet and brush before greeting me with a great hug. “You wanted to join me while I finished this painting?” He pulled back and looked down at me delighted that I had.

    “Your wife told me you were here. It seemed like a great idea to come out here and enjoy your company while I start working on my year’s project.” I held up Melerick’s journal. “And looking what I found last year.”

    Theo looked at the book and then gasped like a young school boy. I couldn’t help giggling at him because he rarely made that sound. “That can’t be. Gilliett told us, but I had completely forgotten that you found them.” He looked at me like a pleading little boy. “May I look at it for just a brief moment?”

    How could I ever say no to that face? With a giggle,  handed the journal over and he sat down under the weeping willow with me next to him. He sighed with pleasure when he opened it and touched the pages. He didn’t read the journal, just touched it and looked at the pictures that adorned many of the pages.

    “Gilliett has also told us what you plan for this year.” His grin was one of pride. “Such ambition that I always love about you. Makes this old man very proud.”

    I bumped his shoulder and laughed. “You’re about to be younger by the end of this school year.” I poked his arm. “Dad.”

    He laughed and hugged me with one arm still holding the journal. “I’m still in shock that we are actually having our first child. We hadn’t expected this happening.”

    “I know you’ll be a great dad.” My smile slipped as I looked down at the journal. “I wish my own father was like you.”

    Theo squeezed me again. “So I take it he didn’t reply.”

    Last year in the beginning of the year, I had sent my father a letter from the school. It was after I had a talk with Theo and the subject of my dad came up. No one knew anything about who he was or where he was. Theo had attempted to locate my father to see if he’d show for open house, but wasn’t able to track him down so Theo turned to me. I was reluctant, but gave it a shot.