Dreams and Shadows

An old man stood in front of Elizabeth with his back turned, casting her in shadow as he looked out towards the ridge of mountains in the distance. She had no recollection of how she got here and when she tried to remember her vision filled with a blinding light. She rubbed at her temples with her fingertips and closed her eyes until the light dimmed to blackness. When she opened them again, the man had turned around to face her. Then she remembered.

"Come, Luna, we don't have much time," he beckoned.

"Where are we?" Elizabeth felt bewildered.

"On the eastern ridge of Evalie."

"Have you found the dark one?"

"Not yet, but I will. Don't worry about that child, for you must focus on your teachings if you are to prepare for what's to come. Your keeper chose a strong name for you. There will be a time when you will need to prove yourself worthy of it."

"When will I have to do that?"

"I do not see everything my child, and even if I did, I wouldn't say, for sometimes it keeps us from choosing the right path," he said placing his bony hand upon her shoulder. Lifting his staff, he pointed towards a makeshift shelter with a fire burning brightly just outside.

She followed him as he ducked his head underneath the skins he had tied to study branches staked into the ground. They sat on a large, short-haired skin that he had laid on the grass, providing a warm, dry place to make themselves comfortable. She noticed his boots and the bottom of his blue robe had soaked up the dampness of the grass they had walked upon, yet her bare feet were still warm, clean and dry.

"You have a keen eye this night Luna."

She looked into the flames of the fire. "Why do I not feel the cold and yet I can't feel the warmth of the fire? Also, my feet aren't soiled by walking on the ground, but your boots are muddied," she said looking back at the old man.

"Remember you come to me through the realm of dreams. In reality, you are snug in your bed. I, however, need to remain in my body in the land of reality as there are some things that cannot be taught or learned in the realm of dreams. Things you must master."

"You have told me this before haven't you?" She asked. The old man just smiled in response. "How can I learn what you teach when I don't always remember?"

"It would be dangerous for you at this time Luna, but you are already learning to recall what you must when you are here, where it is safe for you to remember. Where it is safe for you to master the skills you will need. Now let us focus on your teachings."

The moon disappeared behind the clouds and the fire seemed to burn more brightly against the darkness of the night. The old man reached over to the stones that encircled the fire and retrieved a snowy white feather which he placed onto the floor between them.

"Now," he said looking into her eyes. "You have already learned to see your surroundings, now you must learn to manipulate what surrounds you. Clear your mind and focus only on the feather. I want you to lift it into the air."

"But that's easy," she replied, reaching out to touch it.

The old man knocked her hand aside. "Do it with your mind."

She quickly cast her gaze to the feather, scorning herself for her misunderstanding. Straightening her posture she inhaled deeply. She knew if he asked her to do it, then she should be capable. She remembered Blossom telling her that everyone had magic inside of them, but most did not know how to use it.

It felt like forever have been and gone as she stared at the feather which remained grounded as her frustration rose.

"A feather can rise into the air by itself, can it not?" commented the old man.