Story of the Nymphs

Glad to be back in a world that she could relate to, Elizabeth stood for a moment engrossed by the simplistic beauty of the nature that surrounded her. Dust motes and insects danced in the dappled sunlight that seeped through the dense foliage of the trees. Birds twittered on the bowed branches above. She breathed in the sweet scent of wildflowers that blossomed in the clusters of the earth that hadn't been claimed by bracken or brambles.

"Stay close to me," said Blossom.

"Your wings have gone," exclaimed Elizabeth.

"We use magic to hide them above ground. It's not something to do in your world, walking around with wings. Humans would know we exist if they saw us with those."

"Why do you hide yourselves away?"

"There was a time when nymphs lived in peace with humans, some even gave up their mortality for them, but that was a long time ago. They exploited us, wanting to use our powers for their own ends." Blossom continued to tell Elizabeth of her world as they walked through the woodland, not seeming to follow a particular pathway. She told the story of how long ago, Mother Nature chose young maidens of good heart and soul to become nymphs. They would be bound to the woodland by the tree spirits granting them the sap of life that transformed into an amber ring. Enchanted by this gift, they metamorphosed into nymphs with the power of magic and wings.

"It seems a shame you live underground for fear of the outside world," Elizabeth commented. "If you mistrust humans, why give me refuge?"

"Marrok requested it and he has Winter's favour. Anyway, once you've become one of us, you won't be human anymore."

Elizabeth followed Blossom, pushing wayward branches and vines out of the way as she contemplated becoming a nymph. "What will Winter do if she finds us gone?" Elizabeth's faced wrinkled in concern.

"It's best not to think of that," Blossom feigned a smile and quickened her pace.

"How far before we get to Marrok?" Elizabeth asked.

"He lives on the edge of the woodland at the foot of the mountain pass. It's not much further."

"Do you know how he knew my mother?"

"He doesn't talk about his life before he came to the woodland. He may tell you if you ask."

"He didn't seem approachable."

"Marrok tends to keep himself to himself, that's all. He spends most of his time patrolling the woodland and it's boundaries to protect us."

"Protect you? From what?"

"From animals that would prefer to eat us rather than live alongside us and humans that would destroy our home."

"Is that why I'm not supposed to leave? Because Winter thinks I would let others destroy you all?"

"You were being pursued when you came here. Winter's concerned for your safety and our's. If she knew we were above ground now, she would be furious, but I know that if I had a sister of flesh and blood then I'd want to know that she was safe."

Guilt engulfed Elizabeth again. Her thoughtless actions were now putting someone else in danger. "Blossom, maybe you should go back. I'll find Marrok by myself, you said it wasn't much further. I don't want to get you into trouble."

"We're almost there. I'd be in just as much trouble if I lost you," Blossom, gave a reassuring smile. "Come on, I love an adventure anyway." She reached out and took Elizabeth's hand firmly in hers.

Elizabeth had never met anyone that would put so much at risk for someone they had just met, and few that would risk anything for someone they cared for. Elizabeth hadn't been prepared to do that for her own family, otherwise, she would have let her drunken new husband bed her. She felt used, like a pawn in a battle, to keep her father's enemy beyond the castle walls. Elizabeth's stomach began to knot and she inadvertently tightened her grip on Blossom's hand. She didn't owe her family anything. They were willing to sacrifice her to protect themselves. Elizabeth's sister Annabella was different though. She may not have spoken out against Elizabeth's fate, but she was younger. She didn't understand. She still believed in fairytales and knights on white steeds. She knew nothing of the politics of court and how allegiances were made or why wars were fought. Elizabeth felt she had been traded like an animal at market. A young bride with the promise of land and a title, and a step closer to her cousin, the absent King, and more importantly his throne.

Without warning Blossom stopped and pulled Elizabeth down into a crouched position. Elizabeth looked around nervously, but couldn't see anything.

"What's wrong?" Elizabeth whispered.

"I saw something in the distance," Blossom replied. Her focus was now ahead of them and Elizabeth strained to see anything but the mass of trees. They sat in silence for what felt like an eternity. Nothing.

"Maybe I was I wrong," muttered Blossom under her breath.

"Wrong about what?"

"I thought I saw something glint to the east of us, just beyond that yew tree."

"I've no idea which tree is which," Elizabeth admitted, ashamed of her lack of knowledge. Then she too, out of the corner of her eye saw something in the distance. "I see it," Elizabeth pointed a finger, but there was no need. Now, the object became blatantly visible.

Sunlight caught on the highly polished steel as a man dressed in leather armour with a metal breastplate emerged from behind the wide trunk of the yew tree. He stood in full view, facing them and it was obvious that they were his focus as he started to charge towards them, sounding a battle cry that echoed through the woodland.

Blossom grabbed Elizabeth's arm and pulled her up from the floor, swinging her around to flee. "Run," she shouted.

Last night Elizabeth had run through the woodland in darkness from threats she couldn't see and had wished for daylight. Now, she wished they were cloaked in the blackness of night to give them a chance to escape or hide from their attacker, whose pace was relentless. Blossom held Elizabeth's arm firm and pulled her along, changing direction without hesitation or warning. The sound of heavy boots and clinks of metal became louder and louder as their pursuer gained ground.

Elizabeth felt disorientated as they changed direction again and again. Seeing a dark mass appear before them Elizabeth started to yell, but Blossom fell to the ground and took Elizabeth with her, knocking the air out of her lungs.

Elizabeth heard a heavy thud behind them and a man scream. Gasping for breath she went to get up but Blossom held her down. "Stay still, it's better you don't look," Blossom said breathlessly. "Marrok's here, it's safe now."

Like a moth to a flame, Elizabeth could not distract herself, hearing the agonising cries. She turned and looked behind, drawn to the sight of carnage. Watching their attacker's last moments until Marrok stood over the lifeless body covered in blood only a short distance from them.

Elizabeth's stomach heaved. She doubled over as her body convulsed. Blossom tried to comfort her until the vomiting stopped. Elizabeth stayed bent over for a while, trying to catch her breath and calm herself. Marrok made his way over and stood next to Blossom.

"Stay still and quiet until I return. I'm going to check there are no more willing to risk the woodland for the bounty on Elizabeth's head." Marrok's voice was stern and he left them as quickly as he had appeared.

Elizabeth listened to the beautifully melodic birdsong around them whilst feeling perturbed at their ignorance of the violence that had just taken place. She knew she should have felt grateful, considering Marrok had just saved her life, but she could not help but feel shocked by his actions.

Blossom rummaged in her bag and moments later produced some dried leaves, handing them to Elizabeth. "Chew on these," Blossom instructed. "They'll help ease the sickness." The leaves were fragrant and bitter. Elizabeth endured the taste, a small punishment she thought for being responsible for ending someone's life and putting others in danger.

"We're lucky Marrok was near," said Blossom. "I'm sure he'll be back soon. You should feel better by then, the leaves don't take long to take effect."

Elizabeth didn't respond, she couldn't. Her whole body began to shake and she stared blankly at the dead body covered in blood. Blossom knelt in front of her, blocking out the gruesome sight from Elizabeth's vision and put her hands upon her shoulders.

"Elizabeth what's wrong?"

Elizabeth felt herself falling and her eyes and senses closed to everything around her. Blossom supported her weight as she fell upon her. Carefully, she eased Elizabeth onto the ground. Blossom called out several times, but Elizabeth didn't respond, leaving her to wonder if it was now safe to shout for help.