Friends & Foes

"My Lord," cried out a handmaiden. She ran down the corridor to catch up with Lord Grew as he neared the door leading into Lady Sarah's chamber. " Your wife is not well after the long journey from Wyvern. She instructed she we not to be disturbed," she said breathlessly.

"She's my wife now get out of my way," replied Lord Grew as he firmly pushed the door inwards. His chubby face reddened with frustration.

The handmaiden turned and ran back up the corridor fearing the consequences of her master finding his wife with her lover.

Lord Grew strode boldly into the room to find the sheer silk curtains pulled around the four poster bed, disturbed only by a cool breeze from the open doors leading out into the seclusion of the garden beyond. He walked slowly towards the bed so as not to make a sound upon the tiled floor and reached out, parting the silk to reveal his wife's naked body sleeping peacefully.

Removing his clothes he carefully positioned himself next to her, not wanting to wake her just yet, but his subtle movements disturbed her and suddenly a gleaming dagger was at his throat.

Sarah's blue eyes pierced through him, her hand not wavering as she kept the dagger in place against his skin. "You should know better," she said bluntly.

"I wanted to surprise you." He smiled and she withdrew the dagger placing it back under her pillow.

"My Lord, my lord," came shouts from outside, getting louder and louder.

"What is it?" Bellowed Lord Grew.

A young page skidded to a halt as he entered the room and averted his gaze as he noticed his lord and lady naked on the bed. "A king's messenger has arrived."

"Make them wait. I'm busy." Lord Grew replied.

"But my Lord, they were attacked." The page lifted his gaze to judge his master's response.

"Well my love, duty again comes between us. Get dressed and accompany me," he leaned forward and kissed Sarah's lips. Lord Grew instructed the boy to find the Kings Master at Arms and prepare refreshments for the Round Room.

The Round Room was situated on the roof of the palace in a central turret that boasted 360° views across the city and the vast plains that surrounded it. The only shadow cast upon them was from the Blue Mountains in the North from which the rare granite was mined to build the palace under the rule of Argroth over 200 years before.

Lord Grew and Lady Sarah took central seats at the semicircular granite table on the north side of the room. The other seats were already taken. Richard, the King's Master at Arms sat at Lord Grew's side. The other three seats were occupied by the highest ranking Knights of the Guard who scarcely managed to disguise their disdain at Sarah's presence. Their loyalty to their king was paramount and they had much respect for his choice of consort in his absence, but it was only this that prevented their revolt.

The messenger was ushered into the centre of the room. His tanned face was streaked with dirt and he stunk of sweat.

"What's your name?" Asked Lord Grew.

"Anton my Lord."

"I understand you were attacked. Who dared do this and where?" Lord Grew continued.

"We were travelling on the outskirts of Pinewytch Forest. We camped for the night. Cory was on watch and I was sleeping. I woke up to screams then nothing, not a sound. Cory was gone and I could find no sign of him or who attacked."

"What message do you bring from the King?" Asked Richard.

"That his cousin King Alpas has taken the  City of Bonn and they will now be moving onto Serene."