Creatures of Shadow

At first, the Seer was perplexed. He could not understand how he had pulled Luna through the dimension of dreams into his reality yet could not reach into the depths of her mind. He had never failed before. To protect herself from a shadow creature she would need to shield her mind, or she would easily be consumed by her own fears and nightmares.

If she had the natural ability to do it, he surely would have sensed it in her before now. It would have made it difficult for him to reach out to her. In desperation, the seer sought out Luna's surroundings where her sleeping body lay upon Marrok's black mass of fur, his body curled around her protectively. Marrok's eyes opened and he immediately flitted his glance to Luna who appeared to be sleeping peacefully. Scanning the darkness he let out a low growl. The Seer pulled away back into his own reality.

In all his moons he had never known of an animal having such powers. He wondered how he did not sense them before when their paths had crossed on his journey through the woodland to converse with Winter. He had been able to distract Marrok, casting an enchantment to allow him to pass unnoticed, as he had feared Winter may not have given him audience had he not arrived unannounced. The Seer had heard of the queen's protector. An unusual choice, but obviously a wise one, as Marrok was no ordinary wolf.

"The Wolf," said the Seer, opening his eyes. The light from his staff dimmed as he placed it onto the ground and sat facing Luna.

"Marrok?"

"Yes, Marrok. Why is he protecting you?"

"He said he owes his life to my mother and as she has passed he now vows to protect me."

"He does not do so under orders of the queen?"

"No, he doesn't. He persuaded Winter to let me live when I placed her kingdom at risk."

The Seer seemed to consider her words. "Would you question his loyalty to you?"

"No, why? What have you seen?"

"There is no question that he protects you. Because of him, I cannot reach into your mind to teach you that which you must know. He could be a valuable ally if he can shield you from harm in this way, but I question his motives. Does he do so for his queen, or for you?"

"I've told you why he protects me." Elizabeth got to her feet in exasperation.

"Calm yourself, child, for we have a guest," said the Seer turning his attention to a tall, dark-haired man that stood just feet away. "Join us for a warming drink, my friend!" The Seer beckoned the man towards them. "Luna, get some fresh water from the stream just beyond. I'll make us all a fresh brew of nettle tea."

The stranger walked slowly towards them. Elizabeth quickly grabbed the small, blackened iron pot and ran behind the rocks at the back of the shelter.

"Sit by the fire, my friend. Luna will not be long."

The stream was not far. Elizabeth ambled down the stoney bank and placed the pot against the flow of water to fill. The fiery colours of the eminent sunrise reflected upon the ripples of the stream. She needed to wake and return before she was missed.

As Elizabeth approached the Seer's shelter she could hear low voices talking but could not make out their conversation.

"Ah, here she is." The Seer greeted her. "Put that pot on the fire and sit down. Our friend here is in need of refreshment and in exchange he has offered to assist with your training."

Elizabeth put the pot into the centre of the fire, water spilling onto the embers causing them to hiss. "That's most kind of you, but I'm afraid its time for me to leave."