Belle of the Ball

Blush-hued clouds hung in the sky as the sun rose over the high walls of Treggorne. Lady Sarah had travelled halfway through the night to avoid the stifling heat that had slowed their pace the day before. Her standard hung limply upon its staff in the stillness of the air as they followed the page's horse towards the long shadows of the walls before them. Summer's last stand before giving way to the coolness of Autumn.

Trumpets sounded as they neared, welcoming her home. On the outskirts of the city were market stalls and entertainers, sprawling out from the cramped city streets. The smell of animals and feed mingled with the aroma of spices and fresh fish, more pungent than usual due to the humidity that clung like wet silk around them.

People made way as they trotted through the throng and onto the paved main street, passing the more respectable taverns and bathhouses on route to the palace. Lady Sarah pressed her handkerchief to her brow to absorb the pearls of sweat as the palace gates opened allowing them entry into the courtyard and gardens beyond.

Once in the midst of the fragrant gardens walled by a ring of lush green trees, it was only birdsong and the low hum of bees that could be heard over the sound of the horses' hooves upon the gravel. The coolness of the palace's granite walls beckoned and Lady Sarah gladly dismounted with the aid of her page as servants looked on waiting to greet her.

Under the shade of a parasol, she was ushered through the columns that stood boldly in front of the palace entrance, leaving the small company of men that had travelled with her outside. She stopped and took off her dusty boots, placing her hot, swollen feet onto the cool tiled floor and proceeded to leave footprints in her wake as she walked to her private chambers.

Her handmaiden was already busy preparing the bathing pool that looked out onto a secluded garden, scenting the lukewarm water with fragrant oils and rose petals as Lady Sarah entered her chamber. Without thought or a care for those still in her presence, she undressed herself leaving a young page to quickly gather up clothes behind her as she made haste into the pool before her. After submerging herself under the water she took a glass of cooled cordial and a handful of fruit and sat back as her handmaiden placed a towel against the side of the pool in order for her to rest her head. She smiled to herself and ordered her servants to leave as she noticed Richard walking into her garden.

"Welcome home my love," he greeted with a coy smile, offering her a bloom that he picked.

Sarah put down her drink and took the pink petalled flower, tossing it into the water causing ripples to spread out. "Is that all I get for my valuable time and aching, hot body?" she asked, bending her knee and raising her foot upwards to his chin as he knelt down beside the pool.

He gently took hold of her foot and placed her toes into his mouth caressing each one with his lips. "I thought you would be pleased to see me, especially after spending time with de Clare," he responded as he let her leg slip back into the water.

"That man will never change. His daughter, however, is as delightful as she is gullible."

"She did not return with you though." Richard's tone was scornful.

"She can be easily turned but it will take time my love," replied Sarah as she moved nearer to Richard. "Act too hastily and we would have to be forceful, but I believe given a little time and she will come to us on her own accord. With or without her father's consent."

"You have been busy," Richard's expression softened. He bent down closer placing his mouth next to Sarah's ear and whispered to her seductively making her laugh. Sarah raised up her arms and pulled him willingly into the pool.

..........................................

Annabella tried not to laugh as she caught Myra's mocking impression of the old seamstress in the window's reflection.