Into the Woods

Dusk was approaching as Maggs flew down into the valley across the plain of tall grasses and wildflowers that had now closed their weary blooms as if they feared to look upon the face of the moon. Maggs let out a series of guttural chatters as he approached the mountain on the east side of the plain and veered left as he heard a low howl.

Swooping down he gracefully landed on the edge of the cave entrance where Marrok stood, his fur being blown back by the cold wind. "Do you bring news from Wyvern my friend?" asked Marrok.

"Of sorts," replied Maggs as he ruffled his plumage. "A farmer came to seek de Clare's help and spoke of the stories of olde. His daughter, not weak of character, came across a creature of shadow. She survives but not as she was. De Clare has sent guards into the nearby forest to see if her ramblings hold any truth."

"Do her ramblings hold truth?"

"I don't know for I left shortly after the guards were dispatched. I thought it may be worthy of note if they were to find something or not, as creatures of shadow are told to be masters of stealth, only a seasoned tracker would find such a thing if they wanted to elude themselves."

"I have not heard of these stories. Do you believe these creatures exist?"

"The woodland I call home and you swore to protect is enchanted and ruled by magical beings. Is that not proof enough?" asked Maggs, a note of disbelief in his tone.

"Forgive me, Maggs, despite my years in this place human beliefs still sometimes hold strong," replied Marrok. He shut his eyes and lowered his head for a few moments as he thought back to his past. "Will you return to Wyvern for me and bring back news of what they find?"

"Of course my friend. I will seek out this girl Merrie upon my return and listen to her ramblings myself as I doubt de Clare's guards will find anything."

"Rest yourself before you return," said Marrok, "I'll go into the woodland to ensure no creature of shadow roams there at least."

"They are not of godly flesh and blood Marrok. You cannot defeat a creature of shadow by simply ripping into its flesh or heart with your claws and teeth," warned Maggs.

"Then may Mother Nature protect me and us all."

............................................

Elizabeth found it difficult to get to sleep after the unsettling events of the day and now knowing consciously for the first time that the seer was waiting for her in her dreams seemed to make sleep even more elusive to her. As she lay in her bed the distrust that she had seen in Blossom eyes seared into her mind. The one person, the one nymph that she had come to trust and even loved liked her own sister had doubted her in the same way the others had done. It hurt, despite not being able to blame her for it, knowing things she shouldn't have known. If the seer was teaching her these things, things she should not openly reveal, then why was her subconscious betraying her? She needed to know, she needed to speak with him. She was now a guardian of the bloodstone. What if she unwittingly betrayed that secret too?

Elizabeth threw back the blanket that covered her in frustration and went to the sink to quench her thirst. Cupping her hand under the reed pipe she drank the cool spring water that flowed from it and then cupped her hands again to splash some onto her flushed face. She stood for some time watching and listening to the water flowing into the sink below as she tried to unravel her thoughts.

Elizabeth turned from the sink, grabbed the clothes from the foot of her bed and quickly got dressed. After packing some essentials into her bag she retrieved the small silver lantern from its shelf and opened its glass case. The fireflies flew into lantern without command and she closed the casing trapping them inside. Quietly, she opened the doorway into the darkness of the tunnels and held her lantern in front of her. She thought of retrieving the map she had drawn, but she knew that somehow she would remember the way without it and made her way to the bramble hatch.