Loves Lost

The sun fell below the horizon and the moon rose high into the starry night many times and nothing changed. Marrok remained in a peaceful sleep that could not be explained and there was no word of Rue. I longed to be snatched from my nightmares by the Seer but he did not appear either. I feThe sun fell below the horizon and the moon rose high into the starry night many times and nothing changed. Marrok remained in a peaceful sleep that could not be explained and there was no word of Rue. Luna longed to be snatched from her nightmares by the Seer but he did not appear either. She felt alone.

The body of a huge sleeping wolf was proving to be inconvenient. Luna watched from the edge of the upper chamber as several guardians directed by Calla prepared to move Marrok to the Elder Tree which housed a grand hall not used by the nymphs since before the Great War as it was above ground at the base of a giant tree.

"He'll be fine," commented Blossom.

Luna turned and was surprised to see the forgotten softness of emotion in Blossom's eyes and smile. Luna had wanted to tell her time and time again about Rue, the shadow creature, and the Seer, but after being shut out for so long she no longer felt she could confide in her.

"What if he never wakes?" Luna asked.

"He will."

"How do you know?" Luna's tone was scornful and she didn't care about the hurt that Blossom's eyes betrayed. Luna thought that Blossom hated her anyway and wondered why she should care. Luna had lost everyone she had grown to care for again and felt powerless to do anything about it. Anger and sadness welled inside of her and she clenched her fists in the hope of controlling her emotions. She wanted to stay close to Marrok to make sure he came to no harm, but she couldn't bear to watch them take him away either. And Luna couldn't bear to be near Blossom a moment longer.

"Luna, please come back," Blossom called.

Luna didn't see the tears in Blossom's eyes as she watched her walk into the darkness of the tunnel that led from the upper chamber.

The large round doors opened out revealing the shimmer that protected the grand hall entrance from the outside world. The guardians braced themselves as they bore the weight of Marrok's body upon the stretcher and marched slowly out. Before the doors closed behind them, Blossom ran after them and slipped through the shimmer and into the woodland.

................................................

"I'm glad that at least your father has agreed to allow you a lady in waiting," said Sarah as she hugged Annabella tightly. "It will not be long before you come of age and then he won't be able to deny you your place at court." Sarah held Annabella at arm's length and smiled. "Myra will teach you all there is to know and I sure you'll become firm friends, just as we are." They both glanced at Myra who stood nearby, her pale complexion blushed at Sarah's compliment.

"I wish I could come with you."

"It would have been nice to have had civilised company on my journey back rather than enduring it with the buffoons I brought with me, but alas you must respect your father's wishes." Sarah turned and smiled at De Clare knowing that every word spoken was grating his nerves.

"The horses are ready my Lady," announced one of Sarah's men as he entered the hall and bowed.

"Godspeed Lady Sarah." De Clare was relieved to finally be rid of her and savoured his words. Seeing his daughter shed a tear he hoped he could finally break her free of Sarah's influence, although he had to admit she had been right about one thing; since losing her sister, Annabella needed more than a father that was struggling with his own bitter grief.