Incarnate

Arden found his horse waiting untethered at the gatehouse. The guards looked on curiously as he slumped the dead body over the broad back of his horse.

"Master didn't want ya offerings then?" sneered the gruff-voiced guard.

''You mind your business." Arden snapped, turning his horse towards the gate. "Otherwise, I may be carrying you upon my steed."

The offended guard moved forward to challenge Arden, but the other held him back. "Let 'im be, you don't wanna ave to answer to the master."

The gruff guard grunted in response and allowed Arden to lead his horse through the gates, which quickly shut behind him. Arden's eye's adjusted to the darkness of the night and he made his way back onto the road, only to leave it moments later. He turned east towards the forest, a thin sliver of moonlight escaping the shroud of clouds, lighting the way.

No light though could penetrate the thick canopy of the pine and redwood trees that densely occupied Pinewytch Forest. Arden lit a torch in the hope it would deter any animals looking for prey, as well as providing much-needed light. Cutting through the forest was faster than following the road that led around and curved with the river. Time was of the essence. It was imperative to reach Wyvern Hall and return Elizabeth's body to her family before dawn broke.

The forest smelt dank and musky, despite the strong fragrance of evergreens. The ground was soft underfoot, retaining its moisture in the forest's almost perpetual darkness. The sodden earth clung to Arden's boots and the hooves of his steed as they followed a trail. They were not far from the eastern edge of the forest when the torch began to spit and sputter wildly, despite no breeze. The torch extinguished and a voice ahead of them bade warning.

"Who dares travel through Pinewytch on this night? You bring with you the stench of death!" bellowed a deep, male voice.

Arden's horse flared its nostrils as if in defiance and shifted upon his front legs, raising them slightly off the ground. Arden put his hand on its neck to reassure the animal and responded to the voice in the darkness. "Allow there to be light and show yourself. I do not converse with that which I cannot see."

A ball of soft blue light shone out atop of a tall, slightly crooked staff, revealing a man of ageing years draped in dusky blue robes that were stained with mud from trailing along the ground. The old man looked at Arden and his horse, eyeing them with suspicion and keeping his distance.

"You do not belong here, for the leaves in this forest do not turn to crimson and gold," said the old man, his eyebrow arched.

"Too true, but I must reach Wyvern and return before dawn," replied Arden before moving towards him.

"You carry precious goods I see," noted the old man. "I would assist, but alas I must travel onwards. Dark times have fallen upon us all. Be sure your sister gives refuge and knowledge to the one that did not seek it, as our futures may depend upon them," forewarned the old man before his staff slowly dimmed, leaving them all once more in the blackness of the night.

......................................................

Leaving the forest far behind, the confounding words of the old man played in Arden's thoughts. The night sky was turning an inky blue as dawn approached. Small cottages were quiet and still as he passed through the town and up the steep hill to Wyvern Hall.

Before reaching the gates, guards surrounded Arden who allowed them to lead him into the grounds of Wyvern. Hounds began to bark at the intrusion as he was taken through the stone arched entrance, gruesome statues looking down at him from the turreted roofline.