Hometown Heroes, National Nobodies

Alex's POV:

"Alex, shut up!" she yelled at me.

"Shh! You're gonna wake up the kid next door." I laughed.

 "I'm glad you're here. I'd probably be a hot mess right now if you weren't." she whispered.

I wanted to laugh. "You're already kind of are a hot mess. I mean, you did walk around in the rain, alone, for four hours today."

"I think I'm falling apart and I'm sorry that you have to see it." she helplessly stated.

"Please, I'll put you back together. When you fall down, I'll pick you back up." I reinsured.

She clunked her head against my head. "I've been doing a lot of thinking."

"About what?"

"What this life means." she called out, as if she was waiting for an answer. "I mean, I love making music. I love talking to the fans. Being on stage is enough to give my life purpose. But am I reallt that signifigant to anyone else? My mother hasn't called me in months, my bandmates are too caught up in their strip poker to spend quality time with me, and my friends-"

Something about the look in her face said she wanted to scream. "Anybody who's friends with me truly thinks I'm a worry-wart, overly dramatic bottle blonde."

"What do you mean? You're a natural blonde." I said.

"But these people, they don't know that. My high school friends think I've been 'California-ized'. They don't know me. I don't even wanna go to prom that much anymore."

"Whoa, whoa, whoa." I stopped her. "Are you telling me you're gonna take these high school kids seriously? They hide alone at their parents houses, behind their iphones that, again, their parents are buying for them. They haven't seen the real world; they don't know what they're talking about. Go. Go to prom and show them all how grown up you've become."

"Thanks Lex. I've just been wicked depressed lately." she yawned.

"I'm just glad you haven't had anymore unprotected sex with porcupines." I whispered.

She just smiled and snuggled more with me. I was on my back, and she was on her side, leaning against me. "I'm gonna turn off the lights. I hope you're okay with that."

"Go ahead." I answered.

She got up and turned off everything but the tv. She crawled back in bed with me and we fell into a deep, calm sleep.

Hours later, my eyes shot open. It was pitch black, and the tv was off. I tried to go back to sleep, but my eyes didn't wanna drop. After a half hour, I woke Marina up.

"Hey, Rina, wake up." I said.

"What the fuck Alex." she whined.

"I can't sleep, and I don't know what to do." I whispered.

She opened her eyes and hugged me tighter. "What happened? Did you have a bad dream?"

"No, I just can't sleep." I said.

"Hold on a second." she shimmied down, putting her ear against my heart. "Your heart rate is really fast. Lean on your side.

I obeyed. She took her hand and slowly scratched my scalp. Damn, that felt really nice. I felt myself being calmed down. She did it for a long time, but eventually stopped. I was on the verge of sleeping, but still, just couldn't.

"When did you learn to do that?" I asked, voice flopping over in my tiredness.

"My sister used to do it to me every Christmas eve because it calms you down." she said, coming up behind me and throwing an arm over my stomach. "Is something on your mind, bud?"