47. Lock-Down Lip Locks

Chapter 47—Lock-Down Lip Locks

Leah's POV:

It had been around a week since my embarrassing outburst to Dylan had occurred, and since then I had managed to expertly avoid him. Every time I so much as caught sight of him, I would pathetically turn away in the hallway and take a different route, even if it did inconvenience me. I had practically yelled in his face that I loved him, and knowing there was a chance he didn't feel the same, the last thing I wanted to do was allow him an opportunity to tell me so. It was pitiful on my part, really, but I figured since I embarrassed the shit out of myself already in front of Dylan, I really had nothing else to lose.

It was harder to avoid him than usual, however. Not having to go to work after school or maybe even during shortened me an excuse to disappear, resulting in me just turning around or desperately hiding in the damn janitor's closet. Like I said—pitiful, but for now, I was moderately okay with it. Although it was easy to admit that I was being ridiculous in hiding myself from Dylan, but I couldn't help it. I had said something I hadn't meant to say—no matter how true it was—and I just didn't want to deal with the aftermath of it.

Dylan, admittedly, had been trying to talk to me. He had texted and called several times, which I would pointedly ignore, even go as far as confronting Klara and trying to get her to talk me into talking to him. And although Klara was trying to turn over a new leaf and be relatively nice—her words, not mine—she hadn't budged. She wanted us to work things out, but she thankfully wasn't going to meddle per my request.

Releasing a sigh of relief, I exited the bathroom stall and walked towards the sink to wash my hands, drying them off with the paper towel as I looked myself over in the mirror. Fixing my hair, I then exited the bathroom and began walking down the empty halls of the school, catching glances of people inside classrooms as sixth period went on.

Turning the hallway, I grumbled under my breath at the fact that the bathroom near my classroom had been out of order so I had to basically go to the other side of the floor, only to curse mentally when I caught sight of Dylan loitering in the hall. Seriously? How is it that he always, whether it's intentional or not, manages to catch me in the hallways when no one is around?

He wasn't doing anything; just leaning against the wall and busy texting on his phone, and I wondered how no one was out here reprimanding him for that because of the security cameras. As if sensing my presence—and just my luck—Dylan had glanced up and locked eyes with me, freezing me on the spot.

Talk about déjà vu.

Pressing my lips together, I looked away when Dylan pocketed his phone and continued my way to walk past him, pointedly making sure my eyes didn't stray his way. Although, I shouldn't have expected that to work as Dylan, as expected, called out, "Wait, Leah."

For a second I debated whether I should just run away, but then decided to save face and any shred of dignity I had left and stopped in the middle of the hall, turning around to watch as Dylan pushed himself off the wall and came to stand in front of me. Willing myself not to fidget under the anxious feeling I was rapidly getting, I brought my left hand behind my back and grasped my right wrist, finally bringing myself to look up at Dylan.

His eyes, as blue as ever, stared at me with an emotion that seemed akin to desperation and what seemed like regret, which only twisted my stomach into an even more uncomfortable knot. I felt my stomach tightening and my heart thudding in my chest, and we hadn't even said anything to each other yet.