Chapter 5 - Scarlet in the River

Me and Sam came to park. The park consisted of four things. A red and rusty baby swing, a bright yellow slide cover in rain, a brand new basketball court and finally a roundabout. It was way to heavy too go fast.

I handed the boy a stick with a valid question "what would you be doing if you were alone right now?" I raised one eyebrow as he thought hard for a good answer.

"I umm would wait for my big brother to come get me and go home".

"Ok so we're did he go?"

"My brother was the one you beat up on the road". His voice killed everything on my mind.

"What about mummy?" I asked.

Sam put his stick down firmly and said. "Bad guys took her so my brother said stay here and hide I'll get some food at the market".

"What else did he tell you?"

"Well when he got back he said he was attacked by two baddies at the market" - His term for criminals was baddies, and to me that's adorable-

"And then another baddie ran at him and beat the other baddies up. So my brother ran back to me incase he got hurt." I gave his stick back without saying a thing. This was something I would take to my grave.

We walked along a field and watched daylight peak over the horizon. Sunrise. "I've never, ever, ever  seen a sun rise Jerry." I got that we had something special to share together.

"It's mine too." that day was greatly remembered for it gave me a sense of meaning, a passion to live. The sun was fully visible now. It's light beamed down reflecting something off my eye. A glistening flicker cut our journey to a stop.

"I can see something shiny to our left." We followed a line of short grass were long grass towered in between it. I saw clear velvet ribbons running down large pebbles.

"A river" same announced.

" pass your stick for a second..." both of us where in a steeper part of the river. Isolated by a shrub. A taller cliff hugged the entire river with a gravel path around it.

"Shhh! get down." I whispered. I pointed to the left and sam saw him. A sixty year old man fishing for food. He was well prepared for the big pikes considering he had a bucket full already. The man had soft orange hair with some stubble on his chin. Smoking his cigarette the wrinkles on his face expressed a man of evil.

He had a hunting Knife on the side of his belt, used already. I told Sam not to do a thing, just do nothing. Stealth was on my side and a needed the rules to my liking.

I chose to break the stick and quickly throw it into the vast river. His professional skills immediately went to the splash (he thought it was fish). And I snuck over the river, across a fragile log. The man was still patient waiting to catch a bite.

Gradually, I pulled up onto the top of the cliff near the dangerous man. He bite his cigarette hard frustrated in silence. Crouching behind him I looked at Sam hidden in bushes.

I plunged at the man breathing down his neck. My stick went around his neck but broke wildly. I had to snatch his knife and I got the back of his neck. Sam watched while he lost consciousness, falling into lake. The fishing rod strangled the air and moved snake-like. After that, the water had carried him away and I still had his knife.

Taking the fish I said it was clear to get across to me. Sam suddenly shouted in pain. Looking over I saw a large hook clawed into stomach. Risking death I jumped into the river. Then towards Sam.

"Oh S**t! Sam calm down. please I need you buddy." his face went pale.

"MY ASHTMA"

"It broke. you have to calm down I don't know you that much". The hook from the rod sunk deaper and he started bleeding.

"That's right. you m-made my brother brake it."

"Your brother was going to hurt us both."

"Hurting d-doesnt kill us". Sam breathed worse and worse kicking the ground. I went to carry him when the current pulled the string. His stomach be came a red crater. The pain he went through made me feel disgusting.

I stood there thinking his last moments of his life were hating me.Going back to the fish I paused and looked at the sky. I let them go. The pikes lime green finish made them blur out in the river. It was then a tear shed of my face with a gentle breeze through my hair. Stopping was not an option...