Chapter Thirty One: Love Don't Die

31 | Jess

                ~*~Love Don’t Die ~*~

                My heart was beating rapidly in my chest and my fingers found themselves in my mouth as I bit my nails nervously. Cole was pacing around the gray colored waiting room, impatient with our wait and angry that we didn’t have any more information. Cole kept checking his phone and sliding it into his pockets when he saw that there wasn’t anything to look at. I had no idea what to expect or what to hope for and that scared the shit out of me. I didn’t know that if my father was missing any limbs, I didn’t know if he had any burn marks and I didn’t know if there was any damage to his brain or spinal cord. There were so many questions running through my head I was going to give myself a headache.

                I knew that Cole’s patience was wearing thin but I wasn’t sure what to tell him. There was nothing more I knew and I couldn’t do anything about the situation. There were only certain things I could think of to say to Cole that would calm him down, but it was nice to know that he was worrying about my father as much as I was. It was weird that when you’re in love with someone their emotions are your own. Cole was amazing and I knew I was lucky. Sure, he could be a complete dick and say the shittiest things at times, but he’s been there for me and didn’t let me go, and that says a lot about him.

                Cole finally sat down in the blue chair next to me and slipped his hand in mine. He squeezed it and sighed, clearly at a loss of what to do. I gave him a small smile and squeezed his hand back, letting him know that I needed him.

                “Can’t the nurses tell us anything?”        

                “They probably don’t know more than we do.” I shrugged.

                “How can they not? Don’t they help the doctors?”

                “I don’t know, Cole, my father is in probably in rough shape; they could be doing another surgery.” I sighed, though I was hoping that wasn’t the case. This waiting was not helping my nerves and I needed to see my father soon, I was going crazy.

                “That isn’t good enough.” He huffed.

                “I’m sorry, that’s all I got.” I shrugged.

                “I just need to know if he’s okay.” He admitted.

                “I know.” I whispered, rubbing his back.

                “You can’t- nothing can happen to him, Jess. He’s your only family left, I won’t-“

                “It might be serious injuries but he’s alive right now, and that’s all I could ask for.” I told him seriously. “We may be surprised and scared with what we see, but we’re luckier than most. A lot of times, families aren’t notified of something like this until its too late or when they’ve identified the body.” I said sadly.

                “I wouldn’t be able to handle that.” He admitted.

                “I give those families a lot of credit.”

                “What’s the plan with your father?”

                “I don’t know, I guess I have to see what his injuries are and what I need to do.”

                “I think he’s got the best doctors.” Cole commented.

                “Why?”