Chapter Twenty Seven: The Witch Strikes Again

27 | Jess

                *~* the Witch Strikes Again ~*~

                In the past two days that I have been at Cole’s parents’ house, I have wanted to strangle myself. Not only was his mother unbearable, but she was being unbearable in a silent way. It wasn’t as if I hadn’t noticed the death glares she was shooting me or the snide comments here and there. If anything, she was only fooling herself. I wasn’t coming to rile up a big argument or a big scene, I was only merely invited because I had nowhere else to go. It was Thanksgiving and I knew more than anything it was a big deal to her, and I was not going to be around her. She was decorating the house in a nice manner and when I offered to help, she only said that my assistance was not needed. So instead, I sat on the couch with Cole’s dad talking about sports and things that he probably never did with his father. I felt so out of place, I needed something to do.

                Cole had been avoiding his mother all morning because apparently they had gotten into an argument, he wouldn’t tell me anything but instead hauled his ass into the pool and has been there ever since. I tried talking to him, but his father told me that once he shut down, there was no way to get inside his head. I wondered if this was true or something his father said so he didn’t have to deal with Cole. It was obvious that Cole and his father didn’t have a strong relationship; I didn’t need Cole’s stories to tell me that his father knew nothing about him. I cannot imagine how Cole ended up living in this house for eighteen years. Sure, mine wasn’t perfect but it wasn’t uncomfortable. Being in his home gives me the knowledge of why he was such a dick; he came from a haughty family.

                “I think I’ll go check on Cole.” I said as his father pulled out his phone and started typing on it. He must have not heard me, or he didn’t say anything as I left, I had a feeling he just didn’t care. It took me a couple minutes to figure out where the pool was, but once I heard loud splashing, I knew I found it.

                Cole was racing back and forth in the pool, his arms and legs pushing against the water at a high speed, it was almost as if he was trying to get away. I sat on the edge of the pool and stuck my feet in, dangling and kicking them in the water hoping that he would take a breather and talk to me. He finally reached the end of the pool and slowed down so he could breath. He squinted at me as he was panting and slowly floated over.

                “Your father said I could find you here, he said whenever something bothered you with your mother you came here.” I said softly.

                “I’m surprised he even noticed that.” He said bitterly, lifting himself up on the edge next to me.

                “Do you want to talk about it?” I asked, redirecting the conversation. He ran his hand through his wet hair and tugged at his ear.

                “I’m just sick and tired of my mother.” He groaned. “I’m not trying to be that spoiled kid that complains about his parents, but I just cannot handle one more negative thing she says about us.” He snapped.

                “What happened?”

                “She told me that I was just using you. Can you believe it? She told me that I was wasting my time because you were going to run away from me. Someone like you and someone like me shouldn’t be together.” He laughed bitterly. “And you know what? Maybe she’s right, maybe we’re different but I don’t care. Something has brought us together and I don’t care how fucking corny I sound, I’m not going to let you go because my mother is being a major bitch.” I wasn’t sure how I was supposed to respond to his confession, so I nodded my head.