C H A P T E R F I V E || C O L E

\\ G E T T I N G T O K N O W Y O U R G I R L F R I E N D ||

"I told you to meet me here at seven, you're fifteen minutes late." I comment when Jess sits down at the wide wooden library table. I insisted on meeting her in the library knowing my dumbass friends would leave us alone and no one I knew would see me here with her.

No matter how shitty and terrible I sound, I don't regret my decision that much. Sure, I feel bad that clearly my taunts and comments are getting to her, but as I look at her, I wince at my decision in calling her my "girlfriend".

She plops down in the seat, sighing as she shrugged off her jacket. Her cheeks are tinted pink from the cold weather and her glasses are slightly fogged from the sudden heat in the library. Her curly hair is slightly frizzy and in her face and I notice her giant blue sweater making her look like a blueberry.

I wince once again, hoping that she doesn't notice my discomfort in her appearance but still slightly shocked at the way she left her dorm. Her glasses finally clear and when she finally looks up at me, I'm hit with the blue clarity of her eyes. I swallow the sudden lump in my throat, looking down at the packet I created.

Don't think about her eyes

I looked around the library again to make sure I didn't see anyone I knew. If anything, I'd say we were working on a project for one of our classes. That didn't seem too far fetch and no one should care enough to figure out my fib. I felt my stomach sink when I realized the lengths I went to make sure no one noticed I was with her but yet, I had no problem sucking on her lips last weekend.

I felt a stir in my pants and looked up at her, suddenly at her puffy lips. I gulped and looked down at my phone, hoping that I could hide the sudden lust I felt for the weird chick sitting in front of me. Clearly, I wasn't paying enough attention because I heard her clear her throat and listen to her emotionless response.

"You told me seven thirty." She said dryly. I opened my mouth to argue with her but once again, I got a look at her blue eyes and had to look away. I shook my head to clear my thoughts; I needed to get down to business. I needed my parents off my back and that meant believing I was in a serious relationship. Not only did I want my dick head of a father to keep paying for school, I wanted my mother to leave me alone.

Saying I didn't get along with my parents was the biggest understatement of the century, but I still did everything I could to please them and keep them off my back. I rubbed the back of my neck and took a deep breath, knowing I needed all the hope in the world to get through this time with this wonderful woman sitting in front of me.

"Now that you've gracefully made an entrance, we can start." Her jaw clenched but she didn't say anything, so I took that time to continue. I uncapped my pen and reread over the packet I created, suddenly feeling idiotic.

"My parents need to think we're deeply in love. Do you think you can do that?" I sighed. I needed her too; I didn't care if she looked like Shrek- I needed her to be on her best behavior for when my parents randomly checked in on us.

My parents weren't normal parents- they believed that if you're dating someone for longer than a month, it's a serious deal. With my record, I never stayed longer than two weeks. I wouldn't admit to anyone that I was scared of being rejected and hurting someone, so instead I set myself up for hookups and one night stands so I don't have to worry about the failures of a relationship.