Part 55

I adjusted my grip around Daryl's torso, my head leaning on his back, as we continued speeding down the road.
Tears continued to occasionally fall as my mind stayed focused on the previous event; the killing replaying over and over again. I hated myself for not stopping it.. for not telling Daryl that Joey was my friend, even though I don't know if it would have helped.
As much as I wished it wouldn't have happened the way it did, deep down, I knew it had to.. I just wish I could have been someone else.

As the bike began to slow, I picked up my head, realizing we were about to come up to the gate of the Hilltop.
Tears flooded my eyes once again as I saw Maggie and Glenn standing on top of one of the watch towers; smiles spread across their faces as Daryl's motorcycle rolled to a stop.

"Open the gates!" Maggie yelled, quickly disappearing behind the tall fencing, Glenn following.

The gates swung open right as Jesus pulled up, following behind us as we made our way into the small community.

I immediately hopped off the bike, running into Maggie's arms; Glenn's soon wrapped around us as well.

"I can't believe you're back!" She smiled, pulling back to look at my face, "You're ok, right?"

"I'm fine-- I'm ok!"

"My god, Daryl," Maggie said breathlessly as she covered her mouth, walking to him and engulfing him in a hug.

"Glad you're back, kid." Glenn smiled, patting my back before heading in Daryl's direction.

I let out a relieved sigh, "Me too."

"Daryl? Liz?" A voice in the distance said.

I looked up to see Sasha and Enid beginning to run towards us from one of the buildings; excitement present on their faces.
Daryl and I were soon engulfed in more hugs-- love and safety was all that could be felt.

"Um, where's Carl?" Enid asked as she pulled back from the hug.

"He went on some sort of suicide mission and killed two of Negan's men," I explained, "But Negan told me he was taking him back to Alexandria."

"What?" Glenn asked in shock.

"So Negan's at Alexandria right now?" Sasha asked.

I shrugged, "He should be, unless he's already on his way back."

She sighed, "I just hope everything's going ok over there.."

"Hey, lets not think about the things we can't change right now." Enid said, trying to calm everyone's minds.

"She's right," Maggie nodded, "Let's all go inside and get comfortable and out of the direct view of any unwelcome guests."

***

"So this is a house that Glenn and Jesus cleared out the other day, it should work well for the both of you." Maggie said, leading us into the small house that was honestly more of a trailer, but something that I was so grateful for.

"It's good, thanks." Daryl said, walking in and looking through the cupboards.

"I'll have Enid bring over some food." Maggie smiled, noticing Daryl's actions.

"Um, speaking of Jesus, where is he?" I asked, "I forgot to thank him earlier."

"He's over at Gregory's discussing your arrivals," she explained, "I could walk you over to him if you want, I'm headed there anyway."

I nodded, "Yeah, thank you."

I followed Maggie and shut the door behind us before we began walking to the main building.

"Are you really doing ok, sweetheart?" Maggie asked, "I know you probably had to go through a lot of crap while you were at that compound."

I shrugged, "I don't know, to be completely honest with you."

"What do you mean?" She stopped, turning me to face her, "Are you hurt? There's a doctor here-"

I shook my head, cutting her off, "No, not physically, but my mind.. I don't know what's happening to it."

"Do you want to talk about it?"

I let out a shaky sigh, "Not right now, I don't think."

"That's ok," she said pulling me in for a hug, "I'll be here when you're ready; we'll all be here."

_____
Short chapter because I have to get up early and it's already 2am but I still hope you guys enjoyed it.

Are there any specific relationships you want to see between Liz and someone else? Like how see how her and another character interact/connect and get a little inside on their back story.