23 / A Valentino Vacation

© an affiniteas 2011-2012 ink on Wattpad

23 / A Valentino Vacation

That had to be a mistake. 

I probably heard wrong, that was all. 

These thoughts were running along my head continuously as I walked inside Legends Hotel this afternoon. Going through the revolving glass doors, I adjusted my bag against my shoulder and was suddenly greeted by the voice of — 

"Well, if it isn't Maisie Lockhart."

She was the last face I wanted to see.

Lifting my head up, my eyes caught sight of Candace and the Valentino boys. 

Glancing past Candace, I noticed Bryce, and his eyes briefly looked away. Logan seemed more reserved than usual and was glancing the other direction. Could this get any more awkward? The only one who waved was David, and I returned with a weak smile. Candace flipped her blonde hair with her thin fingers and I sighed since I was not in the mood to hear whatever was going to come out of her mouth. 

"Maisie, I heard that they're going to follow through with your proposal," Candace spat out.

Nodding, I answered bluntly, "You heard right, Candace."

She rolled her eyes.

"It's a stupid idea. I can't believe they didn't go with the golf course."

Clearing his throat, David cautioned, "Candace..." 

Candace glanced over at David and scoffed, letting go of the topic.

Logan finally spoke up, "Is your shift starting soon, Maisie?" 

Surprised, I slowly nodded my head. 

He then offered, "I'll walk with you there."

All of a sudden, Bryce interjected, "No. I can take Maisie."

Just when the atmosphere couldn't have gotten any more tense, I stood there, taking in the glares Bryce and Logan were throwing at one another. Candace's blue-green eyes widened, and she scoffed again from their indirect argument.

About to say that I was perfectly capable of going there myself, David quickly swerved their attention, "How about I take Maisie to work? Let's go, Maisie."

Sighing in relief, I followed David for being so civil as he gave me a small smile. I didn't want to look back at the three's reactions. This wasn't turning out good at all. 

Walking inside the elevator, I had a hard time looking at David in the eyes. My attention was stuck on the floor the whole time. When David called out to me, I hesitantly gazed up. David's dark blue eyes appeared so solemn. 

He questioned, "You probably noticed, but things aren't going so well between Bryce and Logan. Do you know why?" 

Shaking my head, I didn't know what to say.

As David pursed his lips, he continued, "It's been like this for a while, ever since, well, Bryce's birthday."

That long?

Feeling my eyes widened, I raised an eyebrow. 

"You don't think it's because —" 

Stopping myself, I couldn't finish my sentence.

David shrugged.

"Let's just say, I've never seen the two like this before."

All of a sudden, the elevator doors slid open, revealing the exquisite Symphony's Fine Dining. David motioned his arm towards the door, smiling softly. Giving him an apologetic look, I pulled my hair behind my ear, ready to head out until he stopped me.