04 | Officially Employed

© an affiniteas 2011-2012 ink on Wattpad

04 | Officially Employed

"OH MAISIE, DIDN'T I tell you that David is the one!" Vanessa sighed out as she was in her own little fantasy world.

It had only been a few days since our double date with the Valentino's, and Vanessa still couldn't help but talk about David. He was, so far, on my good list. My best friend took a step towards me as I was leaning against the counter of the market. Vanessa's green eyes glittered happily.

"But Maisie, you don't even know. Ever since that double date, David and I have been seeing each other more. It's so much fun on campus now," suddenly, she stuck her tongue out and said," but it would be much better if we went to school together."

Laughing, I would have been in my third year of college by now. But, there were too many complications.

"Enough about David and me, let's talk about Logan! Have you two been talking?" Vanessa questioned, batting her eyes with interest.

Shrugging, I greeted a customer who just walked in before I said, "Well, no. I haven't had a chance too. I don't know how."

Her jaw dropped as she wagged her index finger. "That's why I gave you his number, and I gave him yours, dummy! Wait, so he hasn't called you?"

It was careless of me to not give my number to Logan that night.

I shook my head and said, "No, he hasn't. He's probably busy with school."

Vanessa tapped her chin and murmured, "You may be right. I remember David saying that there's a huge project due in one of their classes."

Nodding my head, I easily believed that excuse, whether it may be true or not.

She then questioned, "Hold on! What did your parents say? You never told me!"

The sudden flashbacks of me returning home that night ran a chill up my spine. After the pleasant ride back, I entered the house and wasn't expecting to find the three of them wide awake, awaiting my return. I was nearly attacked by questions.

Clearing my throat, I said, "Uh, well, I told them it went great. My parents looked happy. Mom asked who my blind date was, and when I did, Mom looked surprised. Like, she said 'THE Valentino family?' It was kind of weird, but... they told me as long as I had a good time. It seems like Pops and Mom knew who they were."

Vanessa snorted, "Well yeah, they're practically celebrities."

Who knew that I would wind up knowing the next generation of Phoenix Empire?

That same night, Mason did some research about them and was hugely impressed. He even said the following words: "You scored big time, Maisie!"

All of a sudden, my phone started vibrating against the counter top. Checking, it read: Logan Valentino.

Stunned, I blurted out loud, "It's Logan!"

That caught Vanessa's attention. She shouted, "Go answer it!"

Several customers in the store looked at us oddly. My hands were getting all shaky.

I made up a lame excuse, "What... should I say?"

"Just answer it!"

In defeat, I picked up the phone, sounding completely normal with a common hello.

On the other line, Logan's gentle timbre welcomed my ears, "Hey Maisie, how are you? It's been a while. I was wondering if you're busy today? If you are, it's cool. But if not, may we meet up?"