26 / The Forgotten Fortune

© an affiniteas 2011-2012 ink on Wattpad

26 / The Forgotten Fortune

"I'm going to tell you a story," Logan announced as I took the chair across from him.

Even though no words came out of my mouth in reply, Logan still continued, "Once upon a time, there were three teenager boys venturing off the city of Paris, France. They didn't know where they were going at the time. The eldest suggested that the three should call someone to pick them up, but the youngest found joy and insisted to keep going. The middle didn't mind. He was eager for some adventure in an unfamiliar city." 

"As the three continued on, the youngest pointed out a fortune teller shop from across the street. He told the two that they should test their luck and get readings. So they did. It was stupid in their eyes, but they wanted to do something stupid at the time. One by one, the fortune teller told them what would come in the near future. The middle simply thought it was all lies, and the fortune teller was just repeating the same things to different customers."

"That was until the fortune teller predicted the youngest one's future. The fortune teller asked the youngest if he loved drinking hazelnut coffee. The three all looked at each other in confusion from her question, but the youngest nodded his head. It was indeed true. The fortune teller grew a smirk on her lips and announced that in a point of his life, he would fall in love with a girl who loves hazelnut coffee as much as he does. The three teenagers all bursted into laughter, not believing the silly words of the fortune teller."

"The youngest had tears in his eyes from laughing so hard and told the fortune teller that she needed to get help. The eldest and middle had enough of her games, so they all stood up from the raggedy chairs and walked out of the shop, still laughing with one another. However, the middle caught something that the two didn't hear. The fortune teller muttered under her breathe that it would happen, and nothing or no one would be able to change that."

"Seven years passed, and that same moment replayed in the middle's mind when he met a girl who liked hazelnut coffee. The middle even thought of doing something silly and pretend to like the drink he never appreciated like the youngest. The middle grew scared that it was all too late because it seemed like the fortune teller was right. The middle didn't want to believe that the youngest found that girl first before him, and he didn't want to believe that she would be the one the fortune teller predicted."

As Logan ended his story, a small grin grew on his lips when he saw my reaction. 

Logan chuckled out, "It's a bittersweet tale, isn't it?"

Taking this whole story in, I soon realized that Logan was talking about him and his cousins. The eldest was David, the middle was Logan, and the youngest was Bryce. When the fortune teller predicted Bryce's future about finding someone who liked hazelnut coffee as much as he did, and the girl —

I stopped.

A tiny laugh of disbelief escaped from me as I widened my eyes.

"You're kidding me?" 

Sure, I was expecting a more serious talk, but this story Logan just told me had me even more curious.

"I... actually asked Vanessa earlier that day what drink you liked just so I would be prepared when we met up. When I drank it with you though, it tasted decent. But Maisie, I can't tell you the reason why right now."

Was this the reason why Logan pretended to like hazelnut coffee around me?

Shrugging in return, Logan's dark blue eyes roamed.