11 / Rescuer in Disguise

• Dedicated to WriterofWonders

© an affiniteas 2011-2012 ink on Wattpad

11 / Rescuer in Disguise

"Before our semester ended, people were all talking about how Bryce's party is the start of an amazing summer," Vanessa beamed as she was busy reading her monthly sent fashion magazine on the market counter. 

I remembered her always telling me reading magazines was homework being a fashion major, but I knew the girl just wanted to procrastinate on writing her English essays.

Throwinging out all the old and not-so-presentable vegetables, I complained with a laugh, "Wow, people are definitely going crazy."

Vanessa giggled, turning the page of the magazine. Ever since Bryce did his gentlemen move, it made me wonder why he would go through all that. It seemed very unlike him. Especially since he had been throwing threats of firing me if I didn't do what he said a month or so ago.

Then again, it was Bryce.

Breaking my thoughts, Vanessa exclaimed, "Time flies, you know? His party is already this weekend! You shouldn't be sad, Maisie. You got invited... personally."

There was a joking tone in her voice as she winked. This was definitely not a laughing matter. Shaking my head in return, Vanessa simply threw on a goofy smile and continued reading.

Sighing, I explained, "It's not that, besides, I never even said yes. That delivery boy just asked my parents."

"Did they say yes?" Vanessa inquired.

"Yeah..." 

I tossed a tomato into the trash can.

"What the hell, Maisie. Just go!"

"How are you and David doing, by the way?" I asked with a curious smile, hoping the change in our conversation would get Vanessa off my back about going.

Vanessa gave me an amused look as her green eyes brightened.

"Let's just say, I couldn't be any happier. Now unlike me, someone over here is obviously hiding her true feelings." 

Great. So much for a topic switch.

Before throwing another bruised tomato, I pursed my lips.

"I am not hiding anything, Vanessa. And, what if I don't want to go?"

Closing her magazine, Vanessa wagged her finger, and she reminded firmly, "Don't you try fooling me. In case you forgot, Bryce was the one you were gawking about when he went to your market. He caught your eyes, remember? You should be happy you found him again. How come you're acting like he's a complete weirdo?"

For some reason, this made me burst into laughter. Vanessa seemed a little taken back from my little outburst. I hate to admit — as delusional I was back then — it was indeed Bryce Valentino who I felt this "attraction" to. Even up until now, the things he says and does surprised me. Never did I expect my delivery boy to be one of the heirs of the almighty company, Phoenix Empire. 

Shuddering at my thoughts, I noticed Vanessa had been staring at me, waiting for some kind response besides a weird laugh.

In defeat, I muttered out, "Fine. I'll officially tell him I'm going when I see him."

"Good! See? Was that so hard? We're going to do some major shopping because I don't know about you, but we have to look absolutely amazing for this party!" 

Vanessa let out a gleeful giggle, putting her attention back to the magazine. That was my best friend.