Chapter Two - Awyren Spencer

I made it home around 2:30am. My 16 year old neighbor Jessika Harpton was asleep on my couch. She baby sat for me at night on the weekends since she didn't have school and needed the money. I covered her with a blanket and turned off the TV before texting her mother, Rachel Harpton, that she was asleep and would be home in the morning. After locking up my house, I made my way upstairs to peek in on my daughter Crosby Elizabeth Spencer.

                         [⬆Crosby⬆]

                         [⬆Crosby⬆]

She was snuggled in tight to the $300.00 princess bed I busted my ass for last Christmas. I didn't spoil Crosby but I made sure she had nice things whenever I could afford them. We had come a long way to this 2 bedroom apartment from my beat up Honda Civic. My mother kicked me out of the house 5 months after Crosby was born. She said she didn't want a whore and a bastard living in her house. For the next 6 months, Crosby and I lived out of my car. I only had $500.00 to my name.

I made it work. I stole whatever I needed to take care of my daughter, sometimes forgetting that I too needed to eat. I would often let the hunger pains lull me to sleep. One day I got caught stealing diapers. I thought my life was over. I was sure that the older black woman would call the police and that they would come take my baby. Instead, Mrs. Mabel gave Crosby and I a room to sleep in rent free and a job in her local convenience store. It was something legal, something to keep Crosby with me.

                   [⬆Mrs

                   [⬆Mrs. Mabel⬆]
We stayed with Mrs. Mabel for 3 years until she passed away. Her grandson, Emarjay Mabel, helped me find this small apartment in a nice neighborhood close to the elementary school and the college. EJ helped me fill out the financial aid paperwork and college scholarship applications. When I was accepted at the local community college, he helped me find books cheap and even watched Crosby overnight when I had to study for a test. He was the only family I had.

 He was the only family I had